The NISO Information Policy & Analysis Topic Committee was renewed by the NISO Board in June 2017 (and was originally formed as the Business Information Topic Committee in early 2007 in response to a strategic restructuring). As part of NISO's organizational structure, topic committees that bring together leaders in specific subjects have been created to provide direction to the organization for standards development in those umbrella topic areas. The Information Policy & Analysis Topic Committee focuses on issues regarding the management structure surrounding the acquisition, licensing, purchasing, and analysis of information. Specific areas include: license expression, online usage data, access management, performance measures and other statistics, etc.
The topic committee is charged with the following tasks:
- Track standards development within NISO and in other standards organizations related to the topic.
- Identify where new standards may provide solutions in their specific area.
- Convene Thought Leader meetings to incubate new standards activities.
- Create and provide guidance and oversight to standards working groups under their purview.
- Manage the five-year reaffirmation process for approved standards.
- The work of this group is complemented by NISO's Information Creation & Curation Topic Committee, Information Discovery & Interchange Topic Committee, and Architecture Committee.
The following NISO standards fall under the Information Policy & Analysis Topic Committee.
- Altmetrics Working Groups
- SERU Standing Committee – Shared E-Resources Understanding
- SUSHI Standing Committee – Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative
- SUSHI-Lite Working Group
- Tracking Link Origins Working Group
- Z39.7 (Data Dictionary) Standing Committee
Existing standards & recommended practices:
- NISO Consensus Principles on Users’ Digital Privacy in Library, Publisher, and Software-Provider Systems (NISO Privacy Principles)
- ANSI/NISO Z39.7-2004, Information Services and Use: Metrics & statistics for libraries and information providers – Data Dictionary
- ANSI/NISO Z39.93-2014, Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative (SUSHI) Protocol
- NISO RP-7-2012, SERU: A Shared Electronic Resource Understanding
- NISO RP-10-2010, Cost of Resource Exchange (CORE) Protocol
- NISO RP-14-2012, NISO SUSHI Protocol: COUNTER-SUSHI Implementation Profile
- NISO RP-17-2013, Institutional Identification: Identifying Organizations in the Information Supply Chain
- Making Good on the Promise of ERM: A Standards and Best Practices Discussion Paper
- NISO RP-20-2014, Demand Driven Acquisition of Monographs
- NISO RP-24-2015, Transfer Code of Practice, version 3.0
- CORE Working Group – Cost of Resource Exchange
- DDA Working Group – Demand-Driven Acquisition of Monographs
- ERM Data Standards & Best Practices Review Working Group
- I2 Working Group – Institutional Identifiers
- IOTA Working Group – Improving OpenURLs Through Analytics
- ONIX-PL Working Group – ONIX for Publication Licenses (joint NISO/EDItEUR group), formerly the License Expression Working Group