- KBART Registry
Registry of knowledge base supply chain contacts. Join now.
- KBART Endorsement
Endorse the guidelines -- or learn who has.
- Join the Interest Group List
Receive updates from and provide feedback to the Standing Committee.
- You can send general questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- View the KBART 101 webinar that KBART Standing Committee members presented on March 11, 2019!
KBART Phase II
The goals of KBART Phase II are to:
- Develop a second recommended practice to build on the initial recommendations delivered for Phase I of the KBART project in order to effect smoother interaction between members of the knowledge base supply chain. Whereas the Phase I report provided minimum recommendations to reach this goal, the Phase II report will focus on the more advanced, complex issues that cause problems in this area, as defined in the “Next Steps” portion of the Phase I report. Knowledge base providers and their customers (primarily academic libraries) will benefit from provision of higher quality data by content providers. Publishers will benefit from accurate linking to their content and subsequently the possibility of increased usage.
- Provide educational events that will address the roles of each (relevant) party in the supply chain, the functions each needs to carry out to improve supply of data to knowledge bases, and the value of doing so in each case. Content providers will benefit from a greater understanding of the needs and activities of those to whom they supply data; knowledge base providers and libraries will again benefit from improvements that can be expected when content providers are better educated.
- Deliver a centralised information portal, to support educational activities and provide a comprehensive resource for further learning, e.g.:
- Glossary (already available on the UKSG and NISO websites from Phase I)
- Entry-level explanation of OpenURL: purpose, methodology, value (already available in Phase I Recommended Practice)
- Introduction to knowledge base supply chain parties: roles, needs, responsibilities, value (already available in Phase I Recommended Practice)
- "How to" guides: outputting holdings data etc.
- Links to other (selected) OpenURL literature
- Guidelines for best practice: knowledge base format and terms of provision
- Relevance of other standards/initiatives/technologies, e.g., ONIX, metasearch
- Contact details of those willing to provide assistance to the bewildered
The authors of the KBART Phase II Recommended Practice are the members of the KBART Phase II Working Group. This group has now sunsetted with the publication of the Recommended Practice, and the work of support and education of KBART is performed by the KBART Standing Committee (roster below). Further information on KBART Phase I is also available.