Discounts available for multiple webinar registrations
June 23 2010 – Baltimore, MD – The National Information Standards Organization (NISO) announces its schedule of educational programs for the second half of 2010, including six webinars; free monthly open teleconferences; an in-person forum; and a joint NISO/DCMI webinar in August.
NISO's webinars are held on the second Wednesday of each month, except July. A two-part webinar is planned for consecutive Wednesdays in September. The registration fee is per site (defined as access by one computer with an unlimited number of viewers) and registrants have access to the recorded version for one year. NASIG members may register at the NISO member rate.
NISO is also pleased to announce a "buy 4 and get 2 free" webinar discount program for organizations interested in having staff participate in multiple events. This is an excellent opportunity for professional development without the expense of travel.
In addition to the NISO education webinars, a joint webinar with the Dublin Core® Metadata Initiative (DCMI) has been added to the schedule on August 25th. More information will be available on the NISO website shortly.
An in-person forum on E-Resource Management: From Start to Finish (and Back Again) will be held on October 7th in Chicago, IL. NISO educational forums are routinely praised for their excellent selection of speakers representing a diversity of viewpoints across the scholarly information community and the small size that provides opportunities to network with speakers and other attendees.
Free teleconferences will be held on the second Monday of every month (except July) to discuss projects underway in NISO and to provide the community with an opportunity to provide feedback and input on areas where NISO is or ought to be engaged.
The complete fall schedule of 2010 NISO educational events is listed below and more details are available at: www.niso.org/news/events/2010/. Registration is now open for all events.
Webinars held from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time
- August 11 – Show Me the Data: Managing Data Sets for Scholarly Content
- August 25 – Joint NISO/DCMI Webinar. Dublin Core: The Road from Metadata Formats to Linked Data [This webinar is not eligible for the multiple webinar discount.]
- September Two-Part Webinar: Measuring Use, Assessing Success
- September 8 – Measure, Assess, Improve, Repeat: Using Library Performance Metrics
- September 15: – Count Me In: Measuring Individual Item Usage
- October 13 – It's Only as Good as the Metadata: Improving OpenURL and Knowledgebase Quality
- November 10 – The Case of the Disappearing Journal: Solving the Title Transfer and Online Display Mystery
- December 8 – Unprecedented Interaction: Providing Accessibility for the Disabled
- October 7 – E-Resource Management: From Start to Finish (and Back Again) – Chicago, IL
Open Teleconferences – held 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Eastern
To join, simply dial 877-375-2160 and enter the code: 17800743.
- August 9 – RFID in Libraries Revision Update
- September 13 – NISO Board of Directors
- October 8 – Institutional Identifiers (I2) Working Group Update
- November 8 – NISO/DAISY Digital Talking Book Standard Revision Update
- December 13 – Improving OpenURLs Through Analytics (IOTA) Working Group Update
NISO fosters the development and maintenance of standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and effective interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in research and learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages libraries, publishers, information aggregators, and other organizations that support learning, research, and scholarship through the creation, organization, management, and curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting communities of interest and across the entire lifecycle of an information standard. NISO is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). More information about NISO is available on its website: www.niso.org. For more information please contact NISO at (301) 654-2512 or via e-mail at email@example.com.