2010 NISO Events
NISO will be hosting 16 events throughout the coming year, including 13 webinars and 3 in-person events focusing on a range of technological- and standards-related topics affecting the library and publishing communities. Among the important topics that will be addressed are: assessment, interoperability, preservation, identification, RFID, metadata and accessibility. The complete list of 2010 NISO Educational events is listed below.
NISO’s web seminars are held on the second Wednesday of each month, except July. There are also two 2-part seminars planned for March and September, which will take place on consecutive Wednesdays. The meetings take place at 1:00 pm EST and are approximately 90 minutes. The cost per site will be $89 for NISO members and $109 for non-members. An unlimited number of people can participate per site. In partnership with NASIG, NISO will also continue to offer member discounts to current NASIG members.
Click here to learn more about NISO's Education Committee, which is responsible for determining the topical focus of educational programs, setting an agenda, and recruiting speakers.
2010 Webinar subscription packages are now available!
NISO is also pleased to announce a discount program for organizations wishing to take part in multiple events. For organizations interested in participating in the entire 2010 webinar schedule, they can purchase the 13-part series for the price of six events. There is also a buy “4 and get 2 free” discount program as well. This is an excellent opportunity for institutions to continue offering professional development opportunities to their staffs, without the expense of travel, but also at a discounted rate.
Package subscribers should not register for the webinars separately, as additional registration fees will be incurred. Contact the NISO office with any questions.
NISO Open Teleconferences
Join NISO on these free conference calls to learn about new projects within NISO as well as to provide the organization with feedback and input on areas where NISO ought to be engaged. NISO teleconferences are held from 3-4 p.m. (eastern) on the second Monday of each month (excepting July--no call--and October, which is held October 18th). To join, simply dial 877-375-2160 and enter the code: 17800743. Visit the 2010 Open Call Calendar.
Next call: Monday, December 13, 2010 • 3-4 p.m. (eastern)
Journal Article Versions (JAV) Survey
January 13 – WEBINAR: From ILS to Repository and Back: Data Interoperability
January 15-19 - ALA Midwinter Conference. Visit this page to find out about sessions highlighting NISO projects during ALA Midwinter.
- February 10 – WEBINAR: What It Takes To Make It Last: E-Resources Preservation
- March Two-Part Webinar: Identifiers: New Problems, New Solutions
- March 10: What’s in a Name? Latest Developments in Identifiers
March 17: Content Identification: What’s New
March 23 – IN-PERSON: Discovery to Delivery: Creating a First-Class User Experience – Atlanta, GA
- April 14 – WEBINAR: RFID in Libraries: Standards and Expanding Use
- May 12 – WEBINAR: It’s in the Mail: Improving the Physical Delivery of Library Resources
- June 9 – WEBINAR: Control Your Vocabulary: Real-World Applications of Semantic Technology
- June 25-28 – IN-PERSON: NISO at the ALA Annual Conference – Washington, DC
- June 25 – IN-PERSON: 4th Annual NISO/BISG Changing Standards Landscape Forum
– Free, open forum at the ALA Annual Conference – Washington, DC
August 11 – WEBINAR: Show Me the Data: Managing Data Sets for Scholarly Content
August 25 – NISO/DMCI WEBINAR: Dublin Core: The Road from Metadata Formats to Linked Data
- September Two-Part Webinar: Measuring use, assessing success
- September 8: Measure, Assess, Improve, Repeat: Using Library Performance Metrics
September 15: Count Me In: Measuring Individual Item Usage
- October 7 – IN-PERSON: E-Resource Management: From Start to Finish (and Back Again) – Chicago, IL
October 13 – WEBINAR: It’s Only as Good as the Metadata: Improving OpenURL and Knowledgebase Quality
- November 10 – WEBINAR: The Case of the Disappearing Journal: Solving the Title Transfer and Online Display Mystery
- December 8 – WEBINAR: Unprecedented Access: Improving the User Experience for People with Print Disabilities