How do standards get produced?
The standards process can be complicated and confusing, especially if you have not been engaged in it for a long time. This is where you can find guidance on how we get things done, what the processes are, and how to navigate a project from the outset to its completion.
If you're not familiar with how to use the members section of the NISO website, here is a handy guide to using the tool.
Policies and Procedures
Below are the policy documents that guide the organization and govern the development of NISO standards.
- NISO Operating Procedures (2019)
- NISO Bylaws (2019)
- NISO Intellectual Property Policy (2013)
- NISO Conflict of Interest Policy (2003)
- NISO Publication Agreement and Copyright License
- NISO Policy on Non-Member Participation in NISO Standards Development
- NISO Expense Reimbursement Policy
- ANSI Essential Requirements 2014
Due process requirements for American National Standards. Outlines the requirements for American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited standards developers, which includes NISO.
Recent Voting Member Ballot Results
- Development of a Standards-Specific Ontology Standard (SSOS). Ballot closed December 18, 2018.
- Standardization of ISOSTS. Ballot closed July 31, 2015.