NISO Webinar, Maker Spaces: Things that Go Bop! Whizz! and Clank!
Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern, US & Canada)
Have 3D printers become commonplace? Is someone in your library using pizza boxes to create their next-generation VR viewer? Perhaps you're wondering just how sophisticated (and how spacious) a Maker Space needs to be these days. What are the expectations from students and faculty? What tools and services need to be part of a library's maker space?
Confirmed speakers for this event include:
- Angi Faiks, Associate Library Director, Macalester College,
- Grover Saunders, Head of Innovation Spaces for JMU's Libraries and Educational Technology, James Madison University;
- Jenny Wong-Welch, STEM Librarian and Keven Jeffery, Digital Technologies Librarian, San Diego State University.
NISO Virtual Conference, The Library of the Future: Inside and Out
Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
As libraries re-evaluate and redesign the services offered to their communities, the ripples of change can be felt across the institution. New job titles and functions appear in university employment postings-clinical information specialist, data scientist, assessment librarian. Space previously given over to stacks is reallocated. Information resources and tools reshape the library's budget. Whether the process is visible or invisible to the library patron, the functions of the library are being re-engineered at a core level. What are the implications for library directors? And for content and platform providers?
Confirmed Speakers (in alphabetical order) Include:
- Gail Clement, Head of Research Services, California Institute of Technology
- Nancy Davenport, University Librarian, American University
- Karen Diaz, Dean of Libraries, West Virginia University
- Carl Grant, Interim Dean of Libraries, University of Oklahoma
- Jacob Nadal, Director of Preservation, Library of Congress
- Danuta Nitecki, Dean of Libraries, Drexel University
- Matthew Sheehy, University Librarian, Brandeis University
- Steven Smith, Dean of Libraries, University of Tennessee Knoxville
Looking to Plan Ahead? Review the 2019 Calendar of NISO Educational Events
NISO Two-Part Webinar, Enabling Discovery: Publishers and Libraries Talk Metadata & Monographs
Wednesday, January 9, 2019, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern, US & Canada)
Wednesday, January 16, 2019, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern, US & Canada)
For purposes of discovery, the metadata supplied to libraries for e-book content must be complete, explicit and accurate. APIs have been constructed. Best practices have been identified. What are the gaps that still affect the user experience in identifying and navigating to needed content? Why might be needed to bridge those gaps? This session will bring together a cross-section of content providers and libraries to discuss the challenges faced.