NISO Open Teleconference
Monday, December 11, 2017
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m., Eastern time
FASTEN (Flexible API Standard for E-Content NISO)
Conference Code: 413 756 9413#
This month's open teleconference will cover NISO's FASTEN project. The speakers will be Christopher Carvey of Queens Library and Josh Weisman of Ex Libris, Inc., who are co-chairs of the FASTEN Working Group.
NISO Virtual Conference
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Eastern time
Advancing Altmetrics: Best Practices and Emerging Ideas
Altmetrics is an active area for a variety of reasons. There is an ongoing need to justify the work, space, and resources invested in the library. How best to appropriately generate, synthesize, interpret, and deliver the most useful data to demonstrate the return on investment made by the institution is a pressing concern. What do we know to be best practices for using altmetrics in assessment? How comfortable are faculty with the use of altmetrics in the context of tenure and promotion activities?
NISO's related working group built a better understanding of use cases for existing altmetrics, but already there are discussions on whether new metrics might be usefully framed for measuring research impact outside of the academic environment or for capturing the value of unconventional research outputs.
Will views and downloads usage indicators be sufficient to evaluate the usefulness of data sets? What examples might be provided by studies of COUNTER, SUSHI, and SUSHI-Lite? What alternative approaches might be needed or fostered in order to ensure the discoverability, usability, and reproducibility of scientific data sets?
- Mike Taylor, Head of Metric Development, Digital Science
- Stacy Konkiel, Director of Research and Education, Altmetric
- Andy Herzog, Faculty Services and Online Engagement, Department Head, University of Texas at Arlington
- Patty Smith, Impact and Dissemination Librarian, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University
- Daniella Lowenberg, Research Data Specialist & Product Manager, California Digital Library
- William Gunn, Director of Academic Outreach, Mendeley
- Darby Orcutt, Assistant Head, Collections and Research Strategy, North Carolina State University
- Martha Kyrillidou, PhD., Principal, QualityMetrics, LLC
To review the day's agenda, please visit the NISO event page.
To register online for this event, please use this form.
NISO Training Thursday
Wednesday, December 14, 2017
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Eastern time
Metrics - Case Studies
This training segment will feature three case studies from professionals who have successfully leveraged metrics for their organizations and clients in achieving specific goals. Those who register for the December 13 virtual conference will automatically receive the sign-on credentials needed to attend this webinar.
Confirmed Speakers, with others to be announced:
- Anne Stone, Senior Manager, Client Services, TBI Communications
- Richard Hulser, Chief Librarian, Research Library and Archives, Natural History Museum Los Angeles County
Wednesday, January 10
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m., Eastern time
Annotation - Practices and Tools in a Digital Environment
Annotation tools can be of tremendous value to students and scholars. Such support for collaboration can add tremendous value to the information that's being accessed by those user populations. What is the current state of the art? This event will offer input from content and platform providers as well as those who are actively seeking to use those tools, whether in the library or the classroom.
- Kent Anderson, CEO, Redlink
- Heather Staines, Director of Partnerships, Hypothesis
- Robert Sanderson, Information Architect, J. Paul Getty Trust
To register online for this event, using a credit card, please use this form.
What's Your Plan for 2018?
First, review the full roster of NISO educational events in 2018. Then decide which subscription plan works best for you!
NISO offers multiple options for subscribing to all or part of our fourteen scheduled webinars in 2018. Click through for more information about our Buy-9-Get-5 free option or our Buy-5-Get-4 free plan. Remember that Library Standards Alliance members get all fourteen webinars as a member benefit so there's no need to worry about which subscription option is needed if you've renewed.
Want to attend--at a discount--all six of the 2018 virtual conferences organized by NISO? Review specifics of our Buy-3-Get-3-free option.