About the Webinar
The first in a series of webinars on standards in the library environment, this overview session will place standards in context. Speakers will address why standards are important to libraries and not just in the traditional technical services areas. As libraries are changing and evolving in an increasingly digital world, so are standards. This webinar will explain how standards are critical to the developments in such areas as e‑resources, user access, description and metadata, licensing, and preservation. Some specific standards, both published and forthcoming, will be touched on as examples and as lead-in to the other webinars in the series, which will discuss those and other standards in more depth. Participants will learn how they can become actively involved in standards development.
This webinar will be of interest to those who want to learn how standards can provide benefits to their organization, their users, and to themselves and are involved with:
- library technical services;
- the acquisition and management of e-resources;
- library systems implementation including ILS, ERMS, link resolvers, and web interfaces;
- cooperative electronic arrangements with other libraries, consortia, or content providers;or
- long-term preservation activities.