Library Standards Alliance
"Standards provide libraries and librarians with a key method of translating their values into actions."
- Paul Evan Peters, Chair of the NISO Board of Directors, 1989-1991
Libraries are a primary beneficiary of NISO standards and many librarians have contributed to the development of NISO standards. The Library Standards Alliance is an easy way for libraries to support NISO directly. Although libraries are not excluded from becoming Voting Members of NISO, the voting membership dues are more appropriate for corporations and non-profit organizations serving many libraries.
As an Alliance member you will actively support NISO standards development work and be kept up-to-date on NISO national and international standards activities.
- Access to NISO Standards on the NISO Website
Support from the Library Standards Alliance membership is making this free distribution possible. Alliance members are listed on the NISO website and Alliance members can link from the NISO website to their own sites.
- NEW for 2013! Free Access to NISO Webinars
All LSA members will receive free access to all NISO-ony webinars. (Jointly sponsored webinars, e.g. NISO/DCMI webinars are not included but members may register at the discounted rate for these.) In addition to access to the live NISO webinars, members will also receive access to the recorded archives. Each archive is available for one calendar year after the webinar takes place.
- E-mail Alerts to New Draft Standards and Approved Standards
Timely e-mail alerts notify NISO Alliance members of draft standards and newly approved NISO standards. The draft standards alert signifies a time period whereby interested parties may comment. By commenting on draft standards, Alliance members participate in standards development.
- Early Notification of NISO Events & Discounted Member Registration
Throughout the year, NISO holds various forums, webinars, workshops, and other meetings. With your LSA membership, you will receive advanced notification of these upcoming events and discounted member registration rates.
Responsibilities of Library Standards Alliance Members:
- Designate a Primary Contact for the LSA membership.
- Designate a Webinar Contact
- Designate a Billing Contact.
- Pay annual dues.
- Level 1: $1000 per year - Applies to Libraries within doctoral/research Universities, national libraries, and large government, public, or state libraries.
- Level 2: $600 per year - Applies to all other types of Libraries.
The membership year is January 1 to December 31. New memberships that begin after January 31 will be pro-rated for the remaining term of the calendar year. Renewal membership dues are assessed annually in November for the following calendar year. Payment is due on January 1st.
Membership Eligibility & Application
Membership in NISO's Library Standards Alliance (LSA) is open to any academic, public, special, or government-supported library interested in supporting the goals of NISO. Please complete the application form to join.
3600 Clipper Mill Road
Baltimore, MD 21211