NISO Metasearch Strategy Workshop: May 7-8, 2003 in Denver Colorado
NISO Members and others were invited to participate in a strategy workshop to explore standards needed to support federated searching.
About the MetaSearch Meeting
The goal of the meeting was to define the activities NISO will support over the next 12 to 18 months. Participants:
- Defined current environment and identify problems and issues that NISO activities might address and improve
- Reviewed existing standards and approaches: examples - Z39.50 profile activities, Web services based approaches like SRW/SRU, and Shibboleth
- Defined NISO activities.
Workshop Agenda and Papers
As the Agenda shows this meeting was highly interactive. Workshop papers gave background on the key issues:
- Access management
- Searching options
- Metasearch Identification
- Resource Description
- Results Set Management
The workshop presentations, defining the problem areas from a variety of perspectives, are listed below:
- The View Through the Public Portal, - Brenda Bailey-Hainer, Colorado State Library
- Metasearch academic perspectives - George Machovec, Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries
- View from an ILS Vendor - J. Walker
- View from the Metasearch Providers - P. Noerr
- View from a Content Provider - E. Moura
- View from Elsevier - M. Krellenstein
Prior to the meeting Ralph LeVan presented a web-seminar briefing on SRW/U, an emerging standard that web-enables the Z39.50 Protocol.