ANSI/NISO Standards Development TimelineThe following represents a typical timeline for the development of ANSI/NISO standards, NISO standards, and NISO Recommended Practices.
New Work Item Proposed
- Topic Committee (TC) approval (approximately one-two weeks)
- NISO Voting Member Ballot to confirm interest (30 days)
- Note: The Working Group may be formed as soon as 10% of the NISO Voting Members vote in favor of the proposal, regardless of the 30-day period allowed to express interest. Voting Members who vote in favor of a new work item are automatically added to the work item's Voting Pool; NISO Voting Members can join the Voting Pool at any time up until the final publication is sent to ballot.
2 weeks – 1 month
- Typically, expressions of interest in joining the working group will come in at the same time as the 30-day expression of interest period. These are then reviewed, contacted, and compiled into a draft roster.
- TC approval (approximately one-two weeks)
3-18 months to complete standard or DSFTU (Draft Standard for Trial Use)
- Development of Work Plan
- Data Gathering
- 3-6 month window (if not completed prior to working group formation)
- Working Draft
- Draft Standard for Trial Use (DSFTU)
- Requires approval by Working Group (WG), followed by approval by TC
- 6-18 month draft period
- WG must review and reports on trial results, and submit recommended action to TC within 60 days of trial end.
Final Draft for Ballot
- Approval by TC to release to NISO vote
- Voting Pool finalized
- Members have 15 days until ballot
- Voting pool must equal 15% NISO membership
- ANSI alerted (60-day public review)
- 45 days
October 23, 2008 - kaw