April 2017

NISO HomeNISO Newsline ArchivesNews and EventsSpecs and StandardsNISO Publications
Business Information Topic Committee
Content and Collections Management Topic Committee
Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee
New Work Items
Business Information Topic Committee
Co-chairs: Anne Campbell (EBSCO Information Systems), Christine Stamison (Northeast Research Libraries Consortium)
bi00Altmetrics Working Groups
 
NISO published the output of its Altmetrics Initiative as a Recommended Practice, NISO RP-25-2016, Outputs of the NISO Alternative Assessment Metrics Project in September 2016, following its approval by the Business Information Topic Committee. The Recommended Practice covers a range of outputs; as the initiative consisted of three NISO working groups, each contributed specific material in particular areas: 
  • A definition of altmetrics and assembled use cases representing potential activity and motivations for several personas: librarians; research administrators; members of hiring committees; academics/researchers; publishing editors; and media officers and producers of altmetrics data. Themes of showcasing key achievements in scholarly outputs, aid in research assessment, and support of discovery are illustrated via these use cases. 
  • A report and set of recommendations in the area of data metrics, including a landscape analysis and discussion of key metrics and workflows.
  • A compilation of various outputs and indicators that could serve as alternative metrics, to establish the breadth and depth of the non-publication metric space, as well as serve as a way to push the conversation on metrics closer to a discussion about impact.
  • A comprehensive catalog of persistent identifier players and schema, including a discussion of domain relevance and initiatives. 
  • A Code of Conduct to support data quality, aimed at those providers whose data is used for the calculation and circulation of alternative assessment metrics. This Code is intended to "provide clear guidelines for the collection, processing, dissemination and reuse of altmetric data [...] intended to introduce transparency and ensure that delivered data is trustworthy, replicable, consistently reported within and across sources, and accurately represents what it intends and/or purports to measure."  Generic guidelines are further illustrated by examples from many providers and aggregators.
Working Group chairs were Michael Habib, formerly of Elsevier and now independent, and Robin Chin Roemer of the University of Washington; Kristi Holmes of Northwestern University and Mike Taylor of Elsevier and now Digital Science; and Stefanie Haustein of the University of Montreal and Greg Tananbaum of SPARC.  Martin Fenner of DataCite served as project consultant. A Steering Committee which was made up of the co-chairs of the working groups; Martin; Todd Carpenter and Nettie Lagace of NISO; and Stuart Maxwell, representing the Business Information Topic Committee communicated regularly to enhance coordination and communication among the groups. 

The NISO Altmetrics Initiative was begun in 2013 with funding from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. This development of recommended practices follows on the publication of an industry white paper distilling community discussions on what areas of alternative metrics would benefit most from standards-related development.  

NISO is now assembling a Standing Committee to provide support and outreach for all areas of the Outputs Recommended Practice, continue to observe the altmetrics landscape, and potentially recommend future areas of standardization. If you are interested in participating on this committee, please contact Nettie Lagace.  

Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, and Nettie Lagace, Associate Director for Programs at NISO, presented at the ER&L conference in early April.
Co-chairs: Barbara Kawecki (YBP Library Services); Michael Levine-Clark (University of Denver) 
 
The Demand Driven Acquisition of Monographs Recommended Practice, published by NISO in late June 2014, includes recommendations covering overall goals and objectives for a library's DDA program. Descriptions of processes include best practices for profiling, management of MARC records (methods for automated updating and removal of discovery records), mechanisms for local program assessment, and some additional considerations for consortia and public libraries. In addition to the Recommended Practice, the DDA Working Group published a summary of surveys it conducted as part of its research on areas of technical processes, access methods, and metric modeling. This survey data is extremely comprehensive and contains a wealth of qualitative information representing library perspectives and experiences in this area, useful to anyone studying this area of growth.

There have been informal discussions by stakeholders about a possible update to the Recommended Practice, now that several years have passed since it was published and DDA has become an essential part of the library collections and use landscape. Such a project may begin in 2017, subject to discussion and approval of the Business Information Topic Committee.
bi2PIE-J (Presentation & Identification of E-Journals) Standing Committee
Chair: Sarah (Sally) Glasser (Hofstra University) 
 
The PIE-J Recommended Practice, PIE-J: Presentation & Identification of E-Journals (NISO RP-16-2013) was published in 2013. It provides guidance to publishers and platform providers on the presentation of e-journals--a critical component of the global scholarly infrastructure--particularly in the areas of title presentation, accurate use of ISSN, and citation practices. The PIE-J Recommended Practice is intended to alleviate the problems encountered by end users who attempt to access article-based materials online using citation elements. Two forms of a brochure describing PIE-J are also available via the PIE-J Workroom page

The PIE-J Standing Committee is charged with responding to specific questions about the Recommended Practice, gathering comments for a full review of the Recommended Practice document, and promoting PIE-J. As part of this work, the Standing Committee has made available a template on the PIE-J website for librarians wishing to contact publishers and providers with concerns about the presentation of e-journals on their websites. The template includes suggested wording but is completely customizable.  The Standing Committee continues to meet to discuss implementation and marketing efforts, and is liaising with efforts to update ISO 8:1977 Documentation -- Presentation of periodicals. It is also compiling a list of suggested edits to the Recommended Practice to be considered for future inclusion, and is discussing possible tools for providers to communicate their support of PIE-J.

The 24-month report from the PIE-J Standing Committee to the Business Information Topic Committee for approval and renewal of its charge is also available. (The document and renewal were approved!) The  report includes a summary of the work done to promote PIE-J, including conducting a survey of the community, which is helping to drive further communication strategies. 
bi3SERU (Shared E-Resource Understanding) Standing Committee
Co-chairs: Adam Chesler (American Institute of Physics), Anne McKee (Greater Western Library Alliance)

The SERU Recommended Practice was updated in 2012 to be more flexible for use with online products beyond e-journals, and is supported by its Standing Committee who works to publicize SERU and educate libraries and publishers via direct contacts and public presentations at industry conferences.  The SERU public workroom pages are available to help publishers and libraries understand and use the SERU material. The SERU Registry, whose purpose is to enable publishers and librarians to more easily identify each other, continues to be updated with new supporters of SERU; since January, 3 new publishers and 8 new libraries have been added bringing the total SERU Registrants to 158publishers/vendors and 334 libraries and consortia.
bi4SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) Standing Committee
Co-chairs: James Van Mil (University of Cincinnati), Oliver Pesch (EBSCO Information Services) 
 
This Standing Committee provides maintenance and support for ANSI/NISO Z39.93, The Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative (SUSHI) Protocol, and acts as the maintenance group for the COUNTER schema by providing recommendations to COUNTER and making changes to the COUNTER XML schemas (as approved by COUNTER). The group works under a continuous maintenance procedure, which enables it to more smoothly shuttle through further updates to the standard. When COUNTER 4 was released it neccessitated relevant changes to the SUSHI schema and applicable updates to the SUSHI workroom pages.  The SUSHI Standing Committee has started to consider the impact of the COUNTER 5 Code of Practice -- expected to be implemented in early 2019-- on its material; for example, the possible use of multiple schemas to support various aspects of COUNTER and/or the adoption of SUSHI-Lite as a mechanism for transfer of data. 

The SUSHI schemas, COUNTER schemas, and sample reports are continually updated on the SUSHI web pages. Note that the SUSHI Server Registry which has been hosted on the NISO SUSHI site has recently been incorporated into the overall COUNTER Registry of Compliance.   The Standing Committee is also working to ensure that SUSHI support materials are congruent with USUS, the community web site.

NASIG is presenting an "Introduction to SUSHI" webinar on May 18, featuring Anne Osterman and Oliver Pesch, two members of the SUSHI Standing Committee. Registration information is here.
bi5SUSHI-Lite Working Group
Co-chairs: James Van Mil (University of Cincinnati), Oliver Pesch (EBSCO Information Services)

The SUSHI-Lite Working Group is continuing to modify its draft NISO Technical Report to address issues of more fine-grained reports and effects of various frameworks.  This working group is exploring the potential adaptation of the SUSHI Standard to accommodate present day development tools and usage needs related to retrieving 'snippets' of usage through web services. As of early this year, a draft API specification is available for comment. 

Three objectives of the technical report (described in the original SUSHI Lite Work Item) are to:
  • Allow smaller units of usage ("snippets") to be retrieved with SUSHI to enable SUSHI to become the standard for implementing real-time retrieval of usage for single journals or articles, as is becoming the practice within e-resource workflows and systems offering alternative metric displays.
  • Allow for an optional implementation of SUSHI with the web services that would be accessing SUSHI snippets--specifically, a RESTful HTTP interface with COUNTER usage data returned in JSON format.
  • Introduce a generalized filter specification that can be used with the new RESTful/JSON approach. These filters would allow the client to refine the request to a single book, journal, or article, or to specify extended data like account or customer details that are currently not available in the current standard.
The Technical Report is expected to be finalized and published before the end of 2017. Further demonstration sites and code examples provided by Working Group members are intended to be available via the SUSHI-Lite web pages to enable users to create more localized programs to experiment with the report's ideas. 
bi4Transfer Standing Committee
Co-chairs: James Phillpotts (Oxford University  Press), Elizabeth Winter (Georgia Institute of Technology) 
 
The aim of the Transfer initiative, begun by the United Kingdom Serials Group (UKSG) in 2006, is to support smooth and uninterrupted access to content by librarians and readers when a journal changes ownership and online content is transferred from a transferring publisher to a receiving publisher. UKSG announced the availability of the updated Transfer Code of Practice, Version 3.0, in March 2014. During late 2014 and early 2015, Transfer successfully moved from UKSG to NISO and the UKSG document was republished as a NISO Recommended Practice in January 2015. Further support, education, and potential future revisions to Transfer are now managed by the NISO Standing Committee which discusses promotion and communication strategies for all audience on regular conference calls. Subgroups focusing on society and commercial publishers and librarians discuss specific issues which can then be raised for discussion and decision by the full Standing Committee.  

The Transfer Code of Practice provides consistent guidelines to help publishers ensure that journal content remains easily accessible by librarians and readers when there is a transfer between parties, and to ensure that the transfer process occurs with minimum disruption. The Code contains best practice guidelines for both the Transferring Publisher and the Receiving Publisher. Publishers are asked to endorse the Code, and to abide by its principles wherever it is commercially reasonable to do so.

Transfer-compliant publishers are listed on the Publisher Endorsement web page. An alerting service is also available at the Enhanced Transfer Alerting Service; this tool gives advance notification to libraries and third parties, such as subscription agents, regarding journals that are moving. Publishers are not required to sign up to the Code, and there is no sanction if a publisher does not; but it is hoped that as the Code of Practice delineates an industry-standard best practice, statements of Transfer compliance provide a common understanding between publishers on the tasks associated with journal transfer and thus support an efficient handover, clearly beneficial to any business transaction.

Elizabeth Winter, Standing Committee co-chair, authored an article, "Transfer: progress and prospects" recently published in Insights: the UKSG journal. Jennifer Bazeley, Transfer Standing Committee member, provided an update on the group's work at the ALCTS CRS Standards Forum at ALA Midwinter in Atlanta, GA in January and again at the ER&L Conference in Austin in April. Transfer was the topic of discussion with Elizabeth Winter, Standing Committee co-chair, presenting on the February NISO Open Teleconference for which a recording is available
bi7Z39.7 Data Dictionary Standing Committee
Chair: Martha Kyrillidou, QualityMetrics
 
The Information Services and Use: Metrics & statistics for libraries and information providers - Data Dictionary (ANSI/NISO Z39.7) is a continuously maintained standard; the fifth edition was released in summer 2013. The purpose of the Data Dictionary is to assist the information community by indicating and defining useful quantifiable information to measure the resources and performance of libraries and to provide a body of valid and comparable data on American libraries. It identifies standard definitions, methods, and practices relevant to library statistics activities in the United States. Any user of the online standard may submit suggested changes. The Standing Committee then reviews these suggestions during its scheduled monthly phone calls.

As part of its work, the Standing Committee scans and reviews the statistical survey landscape and examines other assessment efforts-including use of particular vocabularies-in the community for effects on the Data Dictionary. The Z39.7 Standing Committee is currently considering likely updates to the standard as part of its adherence to ANSI-approved Continuous Maintenance procedures (Section 4). Its survey of the assessment landscape has so far included discussion of how libraries may need to account for shared collections and for resources in institutional repositories; the PLA initiative Project Outcome (not a formalized data collection platforms as yet, but one that may offer useful information about methodologies, protocols, etc. to the library and information community); management of usage statistics generated by institutional repositories; OMB's recent call for comments on the proposed revisions to IPEDS 2016 academic libraries component; and other national surveys with data elements, such as statistics on public school libraries/media centers. The Standing Committee is also liaising with the COSLA Measures that Matter initiative.

For notifications about approved future revisions to the standard, subscribe to the Z39.7 notification mailing list.
Content and Collections Management Topic Committee
Co-chairs: Marti Heyman (OCLC); Jody DeRidder (University of Alabama Libraries)
ccm4E-Book Bibliographic Metadata Requirements in the Sale, Publication, Discovery, and Preservation Supply Chain (E-Book Metadata Working Group)
Co-chairs: Ravit David (University of Toronto), Alistair Morrison (Johns Hopkins University)
E-Book Metadata Workroom

This new NISO initiative will collect the minimal metadata requirements necessary to describe e-books in order to support sales, discovery, delivery, deaccessioning, and preservation, and identify the most effective and efficient way for metadata to be moved through the entire supply chain. This project will help the creators and managers of bibliographic records to cooperate to minimize duplication of work and ensure overall quality of metadata.

The Working Group recently started its work and as part of its first phase, has formed subgroups to study the metadata areas of authorities, dates, and identifiers in more detail to suss out further requirements. Future work will 
chart workflow processes from various stakeholders to identify and prioritize the different metadata elements and map proposed requirements at the element level across workflows. A draft recommended practice for public comment is expected by the end of the year. 

Nettie Lagace, Associate Director for Programs at NISO, included the FASTEN work in her presentation at the ER&L Conference in Austin in April. 
ccm5Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) Standing Committee
Co-chairs: Jeff Beck (National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine), B. Tommie Usdin (Mulberry Technologies, Inc.)

NISO announced the formal publication of the updated version of JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite 1.1, ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2015 in early January 2016. This edition, including approved comments from users made on JATS 1.0 through February 2015, is a revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2012, also known as JATS 1.0, first published in July 2012.  The updated standard is backwards-compatible with JATS 1.0; this means that any document that was valid according to JATS 1.0 will be valid according to JATS 1.1. 

The purpose of JATS is to define a suite of XML elements and attributes that describes the content of metadata and journal articles using a common format that enables the exchange of journal content. This Tag Suite thus is intended to preserve intellectual content of journals independent of the form in which the content was originally delivered, and enables an archive to capture structural and semantic components of existing material. In addition, the JATS standard includes three implementations of the suite, called Tag Sets, which are intended to provide models for archiving, publishing, and authoring journal article content.

The Standing Committee has been working for the past few months discussing and making decisions on the current set of comments to be included in the next update of JATS (version 1.2), per its Continuous Maintenance procedure.  
ccm6
NISO STS Working Groups
Co-chairs: Bruce Rosenblum (Inera), Robert Wheeler (American Society of Mechanical Engineers)

The proposed STS standard, also known as NISO Z39.102, STS: Standards Tag Suite, has recently been made available for public comment through May 24. Supporting non-normative materials, including a tag library and DTD, XSD, and RNG schemas for each of the tag sets, are available at http://www.niso-sts.org/. It is anticipated that after comments are resolved over the summer, the draft standard can be finalized, approved by NISO Voting Members and ANSI, and published by autumn 2017. 

NISO STS is an update and modification of a specific tag set used for standards publishing, the ISO STS, and it will be officially linked to JATS (ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2015 JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite), a widely used specification which defines a set of XML elements and attributes for tagging journal articles and describes several article models. 

The NISO STS Working Group consists of two groups consisting of various SDOs, publishing technology suppliers, and other stakeholders. Both the Steering Group and the Technical Working Group are co-chaired by Bruce Rosenblum of Inera and Robert Wheeler of ASME, with Mulberry Technologies serving as Secretariat.  Work has been under way since the latter part of 2015.

Minutes from the Steering Group and Technical Working Group calls are available on the STS web site.  A new email discussion list provides community support for STS topics. 

STS was recently featured at the in-person NISO event "XML For Standards Publishers" in Washington, DC on April 24, 2017 and at JATS-Con on April 25.  Co-chairs Bruce Rosenblum and Robert Wheeler also joined NISO Executive Director Todd Carpenter for a discussion about STS on the April NISO Open Teleconference, for which a recording is available
ccm7NISO Vocabularies

This project grew out of the NISO Bibliographic Roadmap Initiative, work which intended to identify areas where agreement on standard or recommended practices would support better bibliographic data exchange.  This working group met as a single bloc for several months to establish common understandings and a proposed roadmap forward, then split into several subgroups to address different areas of work: 
  • Vocabulary Use & Reuse Subgroup, co-chaired by Diane Hillmann of Metadata Management Associates and Daniel Lovins of New York University. This subgroup worked to determine best practices in policies where vocabularies may be repurposed by organizations who are not the owner or maintainer of the vocabulary.
  • Vocabulary Documentation Subgroup, co-chaired by Sean Glover of YBP Library Services and Natalie Bulick of Indiana State University. This subgroup examined which information about a vocabulary should be documented in order to meet community needs, using as input recommendations published by the Linked Open Vocabularies (LOV) project. 
  • Vocabulary Preservation Subgroup, chaired by Sherle Abramson-Bluhm of the University of Michigan. This subgroup created recommendations regarding 'orphaned' or abandoned vocabularies and how these might be managed in the short and long term. 
A co-authored draft Technical Report, describing the landscape and including some recommendations for the community, is intended to be released for public comment in Spring 2017.  A Steering Committee has overseen the three working groups and ensures coordination of effort across the three areas of focus.  This Steering Committee met monthly and included the subgroup co-chairs and a liaison to the Content and Collections Management Topic Committee, Marti Heyman of OCLC.  

Sherle Abramson-Bluhm provided a project update at the NISO Update at ALA Annual Midwinter in Atlanta, GA in January.
ccm8Protocol for Exchanging Serial Content (PESC) Working Group
Co-chairs: Leslie Johnston (National Archives and Records Administration), Kimberly Tryka (National Institute of Standards and Technology) 

The PESC Recommended Practice was published in June 2015. This NISO publication describes a packaging specification to be used for exchange and archiving of serial publications. Many different organizations, such as libraries, archives, indexing services, content aggregators, publishers, and content creators exchange and work with the diverse digital files that comprise serial content. There are many reasons for copies of serial content to be transferred from organization to organization, and even within a single organization, many times during the lifecycle of the content. When exchanging content, the files that comprise a serial "publication" are packaged together in some manner and these packages can be highly variable.
 
The PESC Recommended Practice offers guidance to members of the scholarly communication community on preferred practices for the packaging and exchange of serial content that will enable the automation of processes to receive and manage serial content at scale. By following these practices, organizations can make it clear what content has been transmitted, how it is organized, and what processing is required when a new package is received.
Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee
Co-chairs: Pascal Calarco (University of Windsor); Peter Murray (IndexData)
d2d1Access and License Indicators Working Group
Co-chairs: Ed Pentz (Crossref), Cameron Neylon (Curtin University; formerly of PLOS), Greg Tananbaum (SPARC) 
 
The Access and License Indicators Working Group, initially known as the Open Access Metadata and Indicators Working Group, published its Recommended Practice in early 2015. This document defines a structure for standardized bibliographic metadata to describe the accessibility of journal articles as well as describes how "open" the item is via tagging to link to the item's license terms. The Recommended Practice is meant to provide a solution to the problem where many offerings are available from publishers under the banner of Open Access (OA), Increased Access, Public Access, or other descriptions, and the terms offered vary between publishers and, in some cases, based on the funding organization of the author. A number of publishers also offer hybrid options in which some articles are "open" while the rest of the journal's content is available only by subscription or license, and no standardized bibliographic metadata currently provides information on whether a specific article is freely readable and what re-use rights might be available to readers.

Along with the published Recommended Practice, the ALI schema is available along with code samples illustrating several of the use cases documented in a Recommended Practice appendix. Also, support for ALI has been included in the latest publication of ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2015, JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite 1.1.

NISO intends that a Standing Committee will manage education, promotion, and further adjudication of potential updates to the Recommended Practice. If you are interested in potential participation in this group, please contact Nettie Lagace, NISO Associate Director of Programs (nlagace@niso.org). To follow the work of this group, subscribe to the OA Indicators mailing list
nw5Flexible API STandard for E-content NISO (FASTEN) 
Co-chairs: Livia Bitner (Baker & Taylor), Christopher Carvey (Queens Library)

This new Working Group is planning to modernize library-vendor technical interoperability using RESTful Web service APIs and standard mobile application intent calls, using the Queens Library API Requirements as an initial draft. 

The intended outputs of this Working Group will include a foundation API set that the library industry can build on to fulfill an array of user and library needs, including quicker response times, flexible item discovery and delivery options, improved resource availability, and more seamless integration of electronic and physical resources.  Currently the group is analyzing user and developer "pain points" and comparing existing library-vendor communication toolsets for potential overlap.

Nettie Lagace, Associate Director for Programs at NISO, included the FASTEN work in her presentation at the ER&L Conference in Austin in April. 
d2d2Knowledge Bases And Related Tools (KBART) Standing Committee

The KBART Recommended Practice, published in 2014 by NISO, builds on the recommendations of the first version of the recommended practice to specifically address areas of metadata for e-books and conference proceedings, packages licensed via consortia deals, and describe how open access metadata might be published and shared in knowledge bases while continuing to supply a format for general transfer of journal data to the knowledge base of a link resolver supplier. The KBART Standing Committee provides support and education activities for KBART and is working now on streamlining publisher approval for inclusion in the KBART Registry, which includes details of contacts, URLs, and instructions relating to the transfer of e-resource metadata between content providers and link resolvers. All KBART registrants are requested to update their endorsement details pursuant to the new recommendations.

 

The Standing Committee is also reviewing its educational materials, updating these, and seeking new opportunities to present these to potential KBART audiences. Last year's "Deep Dive into KBART" preconference, presented at the NASIG Annual Conference and the Charleston Conference is being considered for a NISO webinar presentation.  The Standing Committee is also planning its relationship to the KBART Automation Working Group, which has just started up. 

 

Noah Levin, Standing Committee member, presented on KBART at the NISO Update and the ALCTS CRS Standards interest group meeting at the ALA Midwinter meeting in January. To follow the group's activities, subscribe to the KBART interest mailing list.  Kathy Marcaccio, KBART SC Co-chair, discussed the work of the group on the March NISO Open Teleconference, for which a recording is available

nw3Enhancing KBART for Automated Exchange of Title Lists and Library Holdings

 

This recently-approved proposal kicks off a new Working Group to extend the KBART Phase 2 Recommended Practice to support individual library holdings of electronic products and automate the request and retrieval of KBART reports for title lists and library holdings. It is expected that this working group will work closely with the KBART Standing Committee.  Work is expected to include the creation of a schema that would allow KBART data to be represented in JSON or XML, and consideration of leveraging the SUSHI-Lite specification as the mechanism for transport of KBART in JSON format. 

 

A working group slate is now undergoing approval by the NISO Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee.  Nettie Lagace included the "KBART Automation" group in an update on KBART provided at the ER&L Conference in Austin in April.

d2d3NCIP (NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol) Standing Committee
Chair: Mike Dicus (Ex Libris)

 

The NCIP Standing Committee operates via Continuous Maintenance procedures to manage the latest NCIP standard, version 2.02, which was published in 2012. Each month the committee holds conference calls to reviews status of implementations and discuss other general business, such as additions to the NCIP website and implementor questions.  In the past, there has been an in-person meeting once a year in order to review any ongoing updates to the NCIP protocol per the Standing Committee's continuous maintenance procedure and to discuss other related issues of interest to the members of the Standing Committee. Input from the public is welcome.

 

The Standing Committee has recommended that the standard published in 2012 should be reaffirmed by NISO Voting Members, per ANSI requirements for standards under continuous maintenance, and then moved to periodic maintenance as many other ANSI/NISO standards are managed.  This recommendation, recently approved by the Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee, will soon be put to NISO Voting members for ratification. 

d2d4Open Discovery Initiative Standing Committee
Co-chairs: Rachel Kessler (Ex Libris), Laura Morse (Harvard University)
 
The Open Discovery Initiative (ODI) Recommended Practice, published in June 2014, is directed toward the new generation of library discovery services that are based on indexed search. The published document includes background on the discovery landscape, recommendations in the areas of technical formats for data format and data transfer; communication of libraries' rights regarding specific content; descriptors regarding particular levels of indexing for content; definition of fair linking to published content; and determination of appropriate usage statistics to be collected to address stakeholder needs. The ODI Standing Committee supports and publicizes ODI, and monitors the discovery landscape to determine whether and when further recommendations should be studied and written; currently it is collecting potential items for future proposals for these.

The ODI Standing Committee is working to further publicize and communicate vendor conformance statements and other general ODI issues and metrics and has published a brochure describing these. Further initiatives include outreach to content providers, especially A&I vendors; creating additional tools for librarians; and ongoing communications with discovery service providers. The Standing Committee has added new "librarian talking points" to its website, to help increase vendor conformance, and has been discussing value propositions to help communicate the ODI message as clearly as possible.

The ODI Standing Committee posts periodic updates on its work to the ODI observer mailing list; any interested observer may join this list. A Twitter account, @NISO_ODI can also be followed. 

Laura Morse, co-chair of the Standing Committee, provided an update on the group's work as part of the NISO update at ALA Midwinter in Atlanta in January. Several members of the Standing Committee participated on a UKSG webinar in January to discuss the discovery landscape; slides and the webinar recording are available. 
d2d5ResourceSync Working Group
Co-chairs: Todd Carpenter (NISO), Herbert Van de Sompel (Los Alamos National Laboratory)
 
ResourceSync, a specification which describes a synchronization framework for the web consisting of various capabilities that allow third party systems to remain synchronized with a server's evolving resources, was formally approved by ANSI and published in May 2014 as ANSI/NISO Z39.99-2014. The core ResourceSync group was funded by the Sloan Foundation and was augmented by other industry and research participants, some of whom were sponsored by Jisc.

The problem that ResourceSync was designed to solve spans the areas of search, discovery, deposit, metadata harvesting, and transfer; there is a need to keep collections of resources in sync so that additions, updates, and deletions of one are reflected in the other. The ResourceSync standard was written in such a way that individual capabilities could be combined to meet local requirements. A server may also describe synchronization capabilities that it supports and means through which third party systems may discover this support. The core functionality of the specification is intended to represent a functional replacement of OAI-PMH. (Other features, such as change notification, framework notification, and archive capabilities are published through separate documents, not currently part of the material part of NISO/ANSI standardization.)

The ResourceSync standard was recently updated, approved by NISO Voting members, and published as ANSI/NISO Z39.99-2017.  This update addressed an issue regarding communication of dates for change notification versus those stored for latest modification

A quick overview of ResourceSync, via YouTube, is available at http://youtu.be/ASQ4jMYytsA and also via the group's NISO webpage.  Martin Klein, member of the Working Group, presented "An overview of capabilities and real-world use cases for discovery, harvesting, and synchronization of resources on the web" with several others at DPLAFest 2017 in Chicago in April. 
d2d6Standard Interchange Protocol (SIP) Working Group
Co-chairs: John Bodfish (OCLC), Ted Koppel (Auto-Graphics)
 

Introduced by 3M in 1993, the Standard Interchange Protocol (SIP) provides a standard communication mechanism that allows Integrated Library System (ILS) applications and self-service devices to communicate seamlessly to perform self-service transactions. It has become the de facto standard around the world to integrate ILSs and self-service devices. This NISO Working Group has been directing the existing SIP version 3.0 specification through the NISO standardization process.

 

Four important high-level areas have guided the group's work: the SIP3 documents themselves, including revisions/corrections/additions, resolving ambiguities, etc.; the Maintenance Agency; SIP3's relation to privacy standards and security; and the relation to NCIP. The group met approximately bi-weekly during 2013 to work through these areas; much of the discussion concerned the extensive research and analysis that was done by Working Group members to help progress decision-making. There have been some delays unrelated to the specification itself, but NISO staff and the Working Group are continuing the final work to determine the changes and edits that need to be made to the proposed standard and associated documents pursuant to the group decisions from these meetings, in order to publish a Draft Standard for Trial Use.

 

Following the completion of the documents, the Working Group intends to address questions of compliance, certification, and assured interoperability. Updated materials in conjunction with the group's work will be added to its Workroom page as they are finalized.

d2d7Tracking Link Origins in Networked Information Environments
Co-chairs: Ken Varnum (University of Michigan), Gary Pollack (EBSCO Information Services)

This project is developing a NISO Recommended Practice to help libraries, publishers, and other content providers to accurately track the sites/platforms from which incoming links originate when they pass through a link resolver. Where content hosts utilize HTTP analysis to determine where users started research, links coming from link resolvers will represent the domain of the link resolver and not that of the platform where the user originated his/her search. Recommendations for actions or configuration instructions can better credit the originating platform, helping publishers and librarians to appreciate this part of the search picture.

The Working Group is investigating options for passing the link origin information to publishers and implementation of one or more proof-of-concept projects to demonstrate proposed techniques.   As it is now nearing the end of its research phase, members are analyzing notes, diagrams, and tests of various workflows as well as a wider survey of libraries, for text to be included in a draft document. Proof-of-concept projects are continuing in their setup. 
New Work Items
nw1Revisions of ANSI/NISO Z39.18, Z39.19, Z39.29, regarding Scientific and Technical Reports; Controlled Vocabularies; and Bibliographic References

NISO Voting Members recently voted to approve revision projects for three standards last revised in 2005 (and reaffirmed in 2010).  NISO is thus soliciting working members and co-chairs to participate in one or more of these three projects.  Of course, all of the standards cover different areas and the revisions will have different scopes, but in general terms the requirement for revision for all of them is necessitated by advancements in the use of digital documents and other materials.  

If you are interested in potential participation in any of these groups, please contact Nettie Lagace, NISO Associate Director of Programs (nlagace@niso.org). 
nw2Revision of ANSI/NISO Z39.48 - Permanence of Paper for Publications and Documents in Libraries and Archives

 

Work is now under way to organize a working group to revise ANSI/NISO Z39.48 - Permanence of Paper for Publications and Documents in Libraries and Archives, an existing standard last revised in 1992, last reaffirmed in 2009. This action comes from the periodic review process outlined in the NISO Procedures document (Section 7.5). This standard establishes criteria for coated and uncoated paper that will last several hundred years without significant deterioration under normal use and storage conditions in libraries and archives. It identifies the specific properties of such paper and specifies the tests required to demonstrate these properties. If you are interested in potential participation in this group, please contact Nettie Lagace, NISO Associate Director of Programs (nlagace@niso.org). We are specifically seeking individuals with experience in paper preservation needs; paper composition, fiber, and stability; and/or paper analysis and test methods.

Copyright © 2017 National Information Standards Organization, 3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302, Baltimore, MD 21211


Phone: 
301.654.2512 Fax: 410.685.5278 Email: nisohq@niso.org


Working Group Connection editor
Nettie Lagace, Associate Director for Programs

NISO, 3600 Clipper Mill Road, Suite 302, Baltimore, MD 21211
Sent by nisohq@niso.org in collaboration with
Constant Contact