January 2013

Business Information Topic Committee

Co-chairs: Denise Davis (Sacramento Public Library); Karla Strieb (Ohio State University Library)

Demand-Driven Acquisitions Working Group

Co-chairs: Barbara Kawecki (YBP Library Services); Michael Levine-Clark (University of Denver)
DDA Workroom

New Work Item Proposal: Develop Recommended Practices for Demand-Driven Acquisition (DDA) of Monographs

As described in its new work item proposal, this Working Group is developing recommendations on best practices for populating and managing the pool of mongraphic titles under consideration for potential purchase, including methods for automated updating and removal of discovery records; development of consistent models for the three basic aspects of e-book DDA—free discovery to prevent inadvertent transactions, temporary lease, and purchase—that work for publishers and libraries; methods for managing DDA of multiple formats; and ways in which print-on-demand (POD) solutions can be linked to DDA.

After several meetings to discuss its work plan and scope, the Working Group has broken into smaller subgroups to discuss the following areas of work: technical processes, access methods, and metric modeling. Each group has met to brainstorm the more detailed topics covered by each area and to begin strategizing on what research might need to be undertaken in order to develop recommendations in these areas. The Working Group expects that its information-gathering phase will run through June 2013.

Co-chairs Michael Levine-Clark and Barbara Kawecki discussed the work of the DDA-RP group at the Charleston Conference in November 2012.

I2 (Institutional Identifiers) Working Group

Co-Chairs: Grace Agnew (Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey), Oliver Pesch (EBSCO Information Services)
I2 Workroom

The I2 Working Group was established to develop a robust, scalable, and interoperable standard for identifying a core entity in any information management or sharing transaction—the institution. The I2 Working Group did extensive community needs assessment with the publishing, library, and repository use sectors.

Concurrent with these efforts, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) was developing a standard for a "name" identifier for public parties "involved throughout the media content industries in the creation, production, management, and content distribution chains" which resulted in the March 2012 publication of ISO 27729, Information and documentation – International standard name identifier (ISNI).

In early 2011, the I2 Working Group initiated discussions with the ISNI International Agency (ISNI-IA) about the potential of using the ISNI standard and the ISNI-IA's infrastructure for institutional identification, rather than publishing a separate standard for institutions. An agreement to use ISNI for institutional identification resulted from these discussions, and I2 contributed further recommendations to the ISNI-IA that were incorporated into the ISNI-IA procedures.

Publication of the I2 Recommended Practice, which will provide information on a profile that can be used by appropriate Registration Agencies to apply ISNI to institutions, is now imminent and the document is expected to be released in the coming weeks.

PIE-J (Presentation and Identification of E-Journals) Working GroupPIE-J: Presentation and Identification of E-Journals

Co-chairs: Cindy Hepfer (University of Buffalo, SUNY), Bob Boissy (Springer)
PIE-J Workroom

Electronic journals (e-journals) are a critical component of the global scholarly infrastructure. As is the case with print journals, the contents of e-journals and their related metadata become part of the historical scholarly record. Citations to articles in print journals, and now in e-journals, form the basis for much scholarly research. The PIE-J Recommended Practice will provide guidance on the presentation of these e-journals—particularly in the areas of title presentation, accurate use of ISSN, and citation practices—to publishers and platform providers, and should solve some long-standing concerns of serials librarians. This will help users working in online environments to more easily access article-based materials using citation elements.

After a 45-day open comment period, the Working Group has drafted its responses to these comments and work is now under way to finalize the PIE-J Recommended Practice, which will then be approved by the Working Group before it is sent for review and approval by the NISO Business Information Topic Committee. Following these approvals, the Recommended Practice will be published; the group expects this to take place by the end of February. It is anticipated that a PIE-J Standing Committee will be formed to help with support and publicity for the Recommended Practice.

Stacy Stanislaw, Associate Editor, Taylor & Francis (speaking on behalf of Edward Cilurso, Working Group member) and Steve Shadle presented on PIE-J at the Charleston Conference in November 2012.

SERU (Shared E-Resource Understanding) Standing Committee SERU logo

Co-chairs: Adam Chesler (Business Expert Press), Anne McKee (Greater Western Library Alliance)
SERU Workroom
SERU Recommended Practice (NISO RP-7-2012)

The SERU Recommended Practice was updated in 2012 to enable it to become more flexible in order to be used with online products beyond e-journals (around which it was originally created in 2008). At the same time, the SERU public workroom pages were substantially revised to better support publishers and libraries in understanding and use of the SERU material. The SERU Registry continues to be updated with new supporters of SERU and is intended to enable publishers and librarians to more easily identify each other.

The SERU Standing Committee is working on its next phases to further publicize SERU and educate libraries and publishers via direct contacts and public presentations at industry conferences. Standing Committee members Adam Chesler, Anne McKee, and Kim Steinle included significant material on SERU as part of their presentation at the Charleston Conference, November 2012. Adam Chesler, co-chair for the Standing Committee, discussed SERU at the January 2013 NISO Open Teleconference for which a recording is available.

SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) Standing Committee

Co-chairs: Bob McQuillan (Innovative Interfaces), Oliver Pesch (EBSCO Information Services)
SUSHI Workroom
SUSHI standard (ANSI/NISO Z39.93-2007)

This Standing Committee provides maintenance and support for ANSI/NISO Z39.93-2007, The Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative (SUSHI) Protocol, and acts as the maintenance group for the COUNTER schema by providing recommendations to COUNTER and making changes to the COUNTER XML schemas (as approved by COUNTER).

Changes that the SUSHI Standing Committee shepherded into an updated version of the Z39.93 standard are now in the process of being approved by a Voting pool of NISO Voting members. It is expected that the updated standard will contain an additional error code and an updated appendix containing best practices for security.

In further work, the Standing Committee continues to pursue relevant changes to the SUSHI schema in light of the release of COUNTER 4 and to make applicable updates to the SUSHI workroom pages. Longer term projects include implementation of a continuous maintenance procedure, enabling better development of SUSHI servers and clients—including the study and potential development of improved tools for SUSHI transmission—and more holistic changes to the SUSHI workroom pages to better support SUSHI users.

Oliver Pesch of EBSCO Information Services included an update on SUSHI as part of his presentation at the LITA/ALCTS Electronic Resources Management Interest Group meeting at ALA Midwinter in Seattle, WA, on January 27, 2013.

Z39.7 Data Dictionary Standing Committee

Chair: Martha Kyrillidou, Association of Research Libraries (ARL)
Z39.7 Data Dictionary

The Information Services and Use: Metrics & statistics for libraries and information providers – Data Dictionary (ANSI/NISO Z39.7) is an online standard that is continuously maintained. The purpose of the Data Dictionary is to assist the information community by indicating and defining useful quantifiable information to measure the resources and performance of libraries and to provide a body of valid and comparable data on American libraries. It identifies standard definitions, methods, and practices relevant to library statistics activities in the United States. The Data Dictionary is provided online, and any user may submit suggested changes through a comment box which is available on each of the online pages. The Standing Committee then reviews these suggestions during its monthly phone calls.

The latest updated version of Z39.7 has been approved by the Standing Committee and is now before the Business Information Topic Committee, the last step before it will be sent to the voting pool for formal approval as a revision to the standard. In addition, the Committee recently welcomed new members Hulen Bivens, North Dakota State Librarian and COSLA liaison; Kathy Rosa, Director, ALA Office for Research and Statistics; Carl Thompson, President, Counting Opinions; and Danny Wallace, Professor, School of Library and Information Studies, University of Alabama and liaison to ALISE statistical data coordination efforts. The group continues to discuss changes to relevant statistical surveys in the community, and expects to continue to examine relevant ISO standards including ISO 2789, International Library Statistics, and ISO 16439, Methods and procedures for assessing the impact of libraries.

Content & Collection Management Topic Committee

Co-chairs: Julia Blixrud (Association of Research Libraries (ARL); Betty Landesman (University of Baltimore)

Digital Bookmarking and Annotation Sharing Working Group

Co-chairs: Ken Haase (beingmeta, inc.), Dan Whaley (hypothes.is)
E-Book Annotation Sharing and Social Reading workshops webpage

This Working Group—formed following discussion meetings funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation held in October 2011 in Frankfurt, Germany, and San Francisco, CA—is working to address the system requirements and syntax specification for online citation and annotation sharing. There is a need in digital environments (especially in the realm of e-books) to locate reference points and share citations and annotations for the same text across a variety of hardware platforms, likely across various editions. Group participants include libraries, suppliers, and members of trade associations.

The Working Group is now finalizing its scope of work, including definitions for its relationship with the work of the Open Annotation Collaboration, and is discussing next steps toward creation of a draft specification for use in 2013.

Standardized Markup for Journal Articles Working Group (JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite)

Co-chairs: Jeff Beck (National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine), B. Tommie Usdin (Mulberry Technologies, Inc.)
JATS Workroom

The fully approved ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2012, JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite, the intellectual successor to the NLM Journal Archiving and Interchange Tag Suite version 3.0, is available in HTML and PDF forms from the NISO JATS Workroom page, together with supporting documentation and schemas. All material is also available at a dedicated site, jats.niso.org.

Work is now under way to provide ANSI-compliant continuous maintenance procedures for a JATS Standing Committee, to allow this group to evaluate further user-suggested changes and decide on appropriate actions. Continuous maintenance will support a more rapid updating and change environment for this new standard.

NISO/NFAIS Supplemental Journal Article Materials Project

Business Working Group Co-chairs: Linda Beebe (American Psychological Association), Marie McVeigh (Thomson Reuters)
Technical Working Group Co-chairs: Dave Martinsen (American Chemical Society), Sasha Schwarzman (Optical Society of America)
Supplemental Journal Article Materials Workroom

This joint NISO-NFAIS Working Group worked to create a Recommended Practice for publisher inclusion, handling, display, and preservation of supplemental journal article materials. Two working groups were established to undertake this work: The Business Working Group addressed semantic and policy issues, and the Technical Working Group, addressed "how-to" aspects of implementation covering linking, packaging, and archiving.

The full set of recommendations, Recommended Practices for Online Supplemental Journal Article Materials, consisting of Part A: Business Policies and Practices and Part B: Technical Considerations and Implementation Recommendations, has this month been approved by the NFAIS membership and the NISO Content and Collections Management Topic Committee and is now available.

Part A begins with terms and definitions and includes the recommendations of the Business Working Group for such business practices as selecting materials, editing them, managing and hosting them, and ensuring discoverability. It also discusses referencing Supplemental Materials, maintaining links, providing good metadata, providing context, and preserving the materials. The roles and responsibilities of various parties as related to Supplemental Materials are outlined and there are recommendations for rights management.

Part B offers recommendations providing metadata for Supplemental Materials, assigning persistent identifiers to them, and ensuring their preservation. It concludes with packaging and exchange considerations. Non-normative supporting documentation to Part B contains an example DTD for Supplemental Materials, a tag library, and examples.

Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee

Co-chairs: Lucy Harrison (Florida Virtual Campus), Pascal Calarco (University of Waterloo)

Improving OpenURL Through Analytics (IOTA) Working Group IOTA: Small changes, Big Improvements

Chair: Adam Chandler (Cornell University)
IOTA Workroom
IOTA Website including blog and analytic log files
Follow on Twitter: @nisoiota

The IOTA (Improving OpenURLs Through Analytics) Working Group is investigating the feasibility of creating industry-wide, transparent and scalable metrics for evaluating and comparing the quality of OpenURL implementations across content providers, so as to provide benchmarks against which improvements to OpenURLs can be made, thereby bettering linking for end users. The IOTA reporting system is available at openurlquality.niso.org/ and continues to welcome data and comments from participating libraries to help with analysis.

Following a technical experiment, a few months in duration, to empirically correlate its completeness rating, the IOTA working group spent the last quarter drafting and editing its final report to include this analysis. They also developed a recommended practice document targeted to link resolvers. The group expects these documents to be finalized, approved, and published in the coming months.

Oliver Pesch of EBSCO Information Services spoke about IOTA as part of the LITA/ALCTS Electronic Resources Management Interest Group meeting at ALA Midwinter in Seattle, WA, on January 27, 2013, and Aron Wolf provided a verbal description and update of the group's work as part of the NISO update session at ALA Midwinter, also held on January 27.

NISO/UKSG Knowledge Bases And Related Tools (KBART) Phase 2 Working Group KBART logo

Co-chairs: Andreas Biedenbach (Independent Publishing Professional), Sarah Pearson (University of Birmingham)
Contact KBART Chairs for endorsement approval
KBART Workroom (NISO)
KBART Website (UKSG)

The NISO/UKSG KBART Phase II Working Group is working to provide support for the Phase I Recommended Practice, NISO RP-9-2010, KBART: Knowledge Bases and Related Tools, and is also developing a second Recommended Practice to build on the recommendations of the first, specifically addressing the areas of metadata for e-books and conference proceedings and packages licensed via consortia deals. In addition, the Working Group is exploring the area of open access materials and how this metadata might be published and shared in knowledgebases.

The Working Group has now increased its meeting frequency in order to finalize a draft-for-comment version of the Phase II recommended practice covering the areas listed above, and intends to make this available for public input by the end of March 2013. The group also continues to work with information providers for validation of content files per the Phase I Recommended Practice and the subsequent inclusion of the information providers to the KBART Registry. Registration of contact details does not require endorsement, though all content providers, from major databases to small publishers, are encouraged to publicly endorse the KBART Recommended Practice by submitting a sample file to the KBART Working Group. Once the file's format and content has been reviewed and approved, and the provider has made it publicly available (in line with the recommendations), the provider will be added to a public list of endorsing providers.

KBART Working Group member Benjamin Johnson Serials Solutions) and Nettie Lagace (NISO) provided an update on KBART activities at the Charleston Conference in November 2012.

NCIP (NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol) Standing Committee

Chair: Mike Dicus (Ex Libris)
Maintenance Agency: EnvisionWare (contact: Rob Walsh)
NCIP Workroom
NCIP Maintenance Agency
ANSI/NISO Z39.83-1-2012 (version 2.02), NISO Circulation Interchange - Part 1: Protocol (NCIP)
ANSI/NISO Z39.83-2-2012 (version 2.02), NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol (NCIP) Part 2: Implementation Profile 1

On monthly calls, the NCIP Standing Committee reviews status of implementations and other general business based on the latest version of NCIP, version 2.02, published in 2012 and available via the NCIP Workroom page. Twice a year, meetings are held in person in order to review ongoing updates to the NCIP protocol.

Since the fall NCIP in-person meeting, which took place October 9-10 in Tallahassee, FL, the group has continued to discuss implementor updates and determination of the best way to collate and publicize vendor support for NCIP areas. The spring 2013 meeting, to be held on April 23-24, will be hosted by OCLC in Dublin, OH. All comments on NCIP to be considered at this meeting must be submitted by March 1, 2013.

Open Discovery Initiative Working Group ODI logo

Co-chairs: Marshall Breeding (Vanderbilt University), Jenny Walker (Ex Libris)
ODI Workroom

The Open Discovery Initiative (ODI) aims at defining standards and/or best practices for the new generation of library discovery services that are based on indexed search. The Working Group is made up of discovery vendors, primary and secondary publishers, and librarians and has been meeting regularly since January 2012.

Four ODI subgroups have been working over the last several months in the areas of technical formats; communication of libraries' rights/level of indexing; definition of fair linking; and usage statistics. These groups are now in the early-to-mid stages of drafting sections of an overall document that will provide recommendations in their respective areas of investigation and expertise. Part of the subgroups' investigation included a general survey which ran in early fall 2012; this survey input was received and analyzed by each subgroup and ODI recently released a survey report which summarizes that information.

The overall ODI draft recommendations are intended to be released for public comment in Q2 2013.

Marshall Breeding, ODI co-chair, and John Law, ODI Working Group member, presented on ODI together with Doralyn Rossmann of Montana State University at the recent ALA Midwinter conference on January 27, 2013. The panel presentation was entitled "Web Scale Discovery and the Open Discovery Initiative: Are standards and best practices in the future of Web Scale Discovery?"

Those interested in following the work of this effort can join the ODI observer mailing list at http://www.niso.org/lists/opendiscovery/.

ResourceSync Working GroupResourceSync logo

Co-chairs: Todd Carpenter (NISO), Herbert Van de Sompel (Los Alamos National Laboratory)
ResourceSync Workroom
ResourceSync New Work Item Proposal

The ResourceSync working group continues its work of researching, developing, prototyping, testing, and deploying mechanisms for the large-scale synchronization of web resources, nearing the stage when its draft will be made available for beta testing and public comment. The work is intended to allow for the synchronization of web-based objects themselves, not just their metadata, and builds on the OAI-PMH strategies.

The core group, which has been funded by the Sloan Foundation, is augmented by other industry and research participants, some of whom are sponsored by JISC. The group has been working over the last several months in the drafting of a beta version for the ResourceSync Framework Specification, expected to be released in early February for review and testing by interested parties. This ResourceSync specification will describe a synchronization framework for the web consisting of various capabilities that allow third-party systems to remain synchronized with a server's evolving resources. The capabilities can be combined in a modular manner to meet local or community requirements. The specification will also describe how a server can advertise the synchronization capabilities it supports and how third-party systems can discover this information. The specification repurposes the document formats defined by the Sitemap protocol and introduces extensions for them.

Simeon Warner of Cornell University discussed ResourceSync on the November 19, 2012 NISO Open Teleconference call, for which a recording is available.

Standard Interchange Protocol (SIP) Working Group

Co-chairs: John Bodfish (OCLC), Ted Koppel (Auto-Graphics)
SIP Workroom

The Standard Interchange Protocol (SIP), introduced by 3M in 1993, provides a standard communication mechanism to allow Integrated Library System (ILS) applications and self-service devices to communicate seamlessly to perform self-service transactions and has become the de facto standard around the world to integrate ILSs and self-service devices. This Working Group is directing the existing SIP version 3.0 specification through the NISO standardization process.

Currently the SIP working group is examining various issues with SIP to determine how best to address these in a published standard. Other general discussion items include creation of profiles and other materials to assist with implementation. Updated materials in conjunction with the group's work will be added to its Workroom page as they are finalized.

Potential New Work

Proposed New Work Item: Journal Article Versions (JAV) Update

JAV Revision New Work Item Proposal

In 2008, the NISO Journal Article Version (JAV) working group developed a set of recommended terms to be applied to iterations of an article's lifecycle. Most terms were assigned scope and definition that allow for actionable, unambiguous, and reliable tools for publishers, librarians, aggregators, indexers, and end users. Since the time of publication of JAV, issues have been found with the term "proof" where it is less specific and precise than practical modern publishing circumstances require, and an update of the recommended practice has been proposed.

Project goals for this update of JAV will include the creation of a small working group to draft an addendum regarding the "proof" category of articles that will be considered under the NISO review process. This group will also reconsider the concept of proposing a metadata framework or dictionary in which JAV terms could be incorporated (which had been rejected in the course of the original group's work in 2008). If this addendum is approved, a change will be made to the official JAV recommended term documentation and distributed as appropriate.

Individuals interested in participating in the working group to review JAV and its metadata framework should contact Nettie Lagace, NISO Associate Director for Programs.

Proposed New Work Item: Specification for Open Access Metadata and Indicators

Open Access Metadata and Indicators New Work Item Proposal

A new project to develop a Specification for Open Access Metadata and Indicators was approved by NISO voting members as of January 21, 2013. Articles are increasingly published in open access form as publishers increase their efforts to optimize the availability of research articles in response to changes in policy by governments and funders and growing demand from researchers themselves. However, no standardized bibliographic metadata currently provides information on whether a specific article is openly accessible and what re-use rights might be available to readers. A standardized set of metadata elements that can be shared between publishers would therefore be of value.

Two different levels may be addressed. The first level would identify elements that describe the accessibility of specific articles, i.e., whether this specific article can be openly accessed from an arbitrary point on the internet. The second level would address re-use rights. Creative Commons licenses (which are available in machine-readable form) already address this issue. Where other license terms are applied, the situation becomes more complex. Nonetheless, transmitting rights information will create significant value in an ecosystem of materials that builds on the openly accessible literature.

Individuals interested in participating in this working group should contact Nettie Lagace, NISO Associate Director for Programs.