July 2013

Business Information Topic Committee

Chair: Karla Strieb (Ohio State University Library)

 

Demand-Driven Acquisitions Working Group

Co-chairs: Barbara Kawecki (YBP Library Services); Michael Levine-Clark (University of Denver)
DDA Workroom

As described in its work item proposal, this Working Group is developing recommendations on best practices for populating and managing the pool of monographic titles under consideration for potential purchase, including methods for automated updating and removal of discovery records; development of consistent models for the three basic aspects of e-book DDA—free discovery to prevent inadvertent transactions, temporary lease, and purchase—that work for publishers and libraries; methods for managing DDA of multiple formats; and ways in which print-on-demand (POD) solutions can be linked to DDA.

The Working Group continues in the information gathering phase of its work. Members of the Working Group participated in subgroups in the areas of technical processes, access methods, and metric modeling to brainstorm their specific areas and formulate questions for a landscape survey and informational interviews. The survey is now nearly final and will be announced to the community in the coming days. It is expected that data collection will progress during August with analysis and interviews to take place in September, drafting of the Recommended Practice to be complete by December, and public comments to be collected during January 2014.

To receive updates on the work of this group, and to be directly informed when its survey is available, subscribe to its announcement :list.

PIE-J (Presentation & Identification of E-Journals) Working GroupPIE-J: Presentation and Identification of E-Journals

Co-chairs: Cindy Hepfer (University of Buffalo, SUNY), Bob Boissy (Springer)
PIE-J Workroom

PIE-J Recommended Practice (NISO RP-16-2013)

The PIE-J Recommended Practice, PIE-J: Presentation & Identification of E-Journals (NISO RP-16-2013) was published earlier this year. It provides guidance to publishers and platform providers on the presentation of e-journals—a critical component of the global scholarly infrastructure—particularly in the areas of title presentation, accurate use of ISSN, and citation practices. The PIE-J RP is intended to alleviate the problems encountered by end users when working online to access article-based materials using citation elements.

The PIE-J Standing Committee is now in the process of being formed. This group will assist with support and publicity for the Recommended Practice and manage communications to determine when updates to the recommendations are needed. As part of the materials to help the Standing Committee with its work, the Working Group created two forms of a brochure for PIE-J; both are available via the group's Workroom page.

SERU (Shared E-Resource Understanding) Standing Committee SERU logo

Co-chairs: Adam Chesler (Business Expert Press), Anne McKee (Greater Western Library Alliance)
SERU Workroom
SERU Recommended Practice (NISO RP-7-2012)

The SERU Recommended Practice, updated in 2012 to be more flexible for use with online products beyond e-journals, continues to be supported by its Standing Committee through efforts to publicize SERU and educate libraries and publishers via direct contacts and public presentations at industry conferences. One potential project is a short video of testimonials on how SERU has aided the licensing process. The SERU public workroom pages were updated and revised at the time the SERU revision was published to better support publishers and libraries in understanding and use of the SERU material. The SERU Registry continues to be updated with new supporters of SERU and is intended to enable publishers and librarians to more easily identify each other.

SUSHI (Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative) Standing Committee SUSHI logo

Chair: Oliver Pesch (EBSCO Information Services)
SUSHI Workroom
SUSHI standard (ANSI/NISO Z39.93-2013)
COUNTER-SUSHI Implementation Profile (NISO RP-14-2012)

This Standing Committee provides maintenance and support for ANSI/NISO Z39.93, The Standardized Usage Statistics Harvesting Initiative (SUSHI) Protocol, and acts as the maintenance group for the COUNTER schema by providing recommendations to COUNTER and making changes to the COUNTER XML schemas (as approved by COUNTER).

The Standing Committee continues its work of pursuing relevant changes to the SUSHI schema in light of the release of COUNTER 4 and making applicable updates to the SUSHI workroom pages, including finalization of a new logo (seen above). The group intends to implement a continuous maintenance procedure, which will enable it to more smoothly shuttle through further updates to the standard, and is discussing various approaches in support of lighter-weight SUSHI implementations. The late spring and early summer have also seen some changes and updates to the SUSHI SC roster.

Z39.7 Data Dictionary Standing Committee

Chair: Martha Kyrillidou, Association of Research Libraries (ARL)
Z39.7 Data Dictionary

The Information Services and Use: Metrics & statistics for libraries and information providers – Data Dictionary (ANSI/NISO Z39.7) is an online standard, available in HTML and PDF versions that is continuously maintained. The purpose of the Data Dictionary is to assist the information community by indicating and defining useful quantifiable information to measure the resources and performance of libraries and to provide a body of valid and comparable data on American libraries. It identifies standard definitions, methods, and practices relevant to library statistics activities in the United States. The Data Dictionary is provided online, and any user may submit suggested changes. The Standing Committee then reviews these suggestions during its monthly phone calls.

On July 30, NISO announced the publication of the fifth edition of the ANSI/NISO Z39.7 standard. This edition includes all the accepted changes since the previous edition was published several years ago. In addition to reformatting and better organization, e-metrics that were introduced in the 2004 edition as a separate section have been updated and integrated into the body of the standard to make them easier to use. Additional data gathering tools were added and all survey references were updated. The SC's Continuous Maintenance procedure enables any community member to suggest a change or revision, and that comment will be considered by the Standing Committee on one of its regularly-scheduled conference calls.

The Standing Committee continues to discuss changes to relevant statistical surveys in the community, and expects to continue to examine relevant ISO standards including ISO 2789, International Library Statistics, and ISO 16439, Methods and procedures for assessing the impact of libraries.

For notifications about approved future revisions to the standard, subscribe to the Z39.7 notification mailing list.

Content & Collection Management Topic Committee

Co-chairs: Julia Blixrud (Association of Research Libraries (ARL); Betty Landesman (University of Baltimore)

 

Digital Bookmarking and Annotation Sharing Working Group

Co-chairs: Ken Haase (beingmeta, inc.), Dan Whaley (hypothes.is)
E-Book Annotation Sharing and Social Reading workshops webpage

This Working Group—formed following discussion meetings funded by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation held in October 2011 in Frankfurt, Germany, and San Francisco, CA—intends to address the system requirements and syntax specification for online citation and annotation sharing. There is a need in digital environments (especially in the realm of e-books) to locate reference points and share citations and annotations for the same text across a variety of hardware platforms, likely across various editions. Group participants include libraries, suppliers, and members of trade associations.

The Working Group is currently in hiatus as appropriate next steps are determined.

Journal Article Versions (JAV) Addendum Working Group

Chair: Michael Dellert (SAGE Publications)
JAV Addendum Workroom

In 2008, the NISO Journal Article Version (JAV) working group developed a set of recommended terms to be applied to iterations of an article's lifecycle. The terms were assigned scope and definition that allow for actionable, unambiguous, and reliable tools for publishers, librarians, aggregators, indexers, and end users. As JAV was adopted, the scope of the term "proof" was found to be less precise and more difficult to apply than the other terms and a proposal was made to issue an Addendum to address this problem.

This Working Group is drafting an addendum to JAV regarding the "proof" category of articles. If the addendum is approved, a change will be made to the official JAV recommended term documentation and distributed as appropriate. The group is also considering a proposal for an overall metadata framework or dictionary for JAV, in which its terms could be incorporated.

The group has progressed its discussions over the past few months and expects its work to coalesce in the fall.

Nettie Lagace of NISO presented on this Working Group at the ALCTS Continuing Resources Standards Forum at the ALA Annual meeting in Chicago, IL, in June 2013.

Standardized Markup for Journal Articles (JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite) Working Group

Co-chairs: Jeff Beck (National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine), B. Tommie Usdin (Mulberry Technologies, Inc.)
JATS Workroom

JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite (ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2012 (HTML)
JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite (ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2012) (PDF)

Now that ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2012, JATS: Journal Article Tag Suite, the intellectual successor to the NLM Journal Archiving and Interchange Tag Suite version 3.0, is published and available in HTML and PDF forms (along with supporting documentation and schema) from the NISO JATS Workroom page, the JATS Standing Committee is meeting regularly to review several comments that have been received on the standard. The Standing Committee will utilize Continuous Maintenance procedures to determine appropriate outcomes for this input. Continuous Maintenance in general will support a more rapid updating and change environment for this new standard.

Discovery to Delivery Topic Committee

Co-chairs: Lucy Harrison (Florida Virtual Campus), Pascal Calarco (University of Waterloo)

 

Improving OpenURL Through Analytics (IOTA) Working Group IOTA: Small changes, Big Improvements

Chair: Adam Chandler (Cornell University)
IOTA Workroom
IOTA Website including blog and analytic log files
Follow on Twitter: @nisoiota

The IOTA (Improving OpenURLs Through Analytics) Working Group, chartered to investigate the feasibility of creating industry-wide, transparent, and scalable metrics for evaluating and comparing the quality of OpenURL implementations across content providers, completed its analysis earlier this year and NISO published a new recommended practice, Improving OpenURLs Through Analytics (IOTA): Recommendations for Link Resolver Providers (NISO RP-21-2013) as well as a technical report, IOTA Working Group Summary of Activities and Outcomes (NISO TR-05-2013). These recommendations, directed to link resolver providers, are the result of a three-year study performed by the NISO IOTA Working Group in which millions of OpenURLs were analyzed and a Completeness Index was developed as a means of quantifying OpenURL quality.

Efforts are now underway to finalize the creation of the IOTA Standing Committee, to manage education and outreach efforts for the Recommended Practice and Technical Report.

Rafal Kaprowski, Working Group member, presented on behalf of IOTA at the NISO update at the ALA Annual meeting in Chicago, IL in June 2013.

NISO/UKSG Knowledge Bases And Related Tools (KBART) Phase 2 Working Group KBART logo

Co-chairs: Magaly Bascones (JISC), Chad Hutchens (University of Wyoming)
Contact KBART Chairs for endorsement approval
KBART Workroom (NISO)
KBART Website (UKSG)

The NISO/UKSG KBART Phase II Working Group provides support for the Phase I Recommended Practice, NISO RP-9-2010, KBART: Knowledge Bases and Related Tools, and is developing a second Recommended Practice to build on the recommendations of the first, specifically addressing the areas of metadata for e-books and conference proceedings, packages licensed via consortia deals, and how open access metadata might be published and shared in knowledge bases.

The draft-for-comment version of the Phase II recommended practice covering the areas listed above has been delayed somewhat, but it is now in its final editing stages and the Working Group expects to make it available for public input in the next several weeks.

The KBART Registry also continues to be maintained with details of contacts, URLs, and instructions relating to the transfer of e-resource metadata between content providers and link resolvers. Note that registration of contact details does not require endorsement, though all content providers, from major databases to small publishers, are encouraged to publicly endorse the KBART Recommended Practice by submitting a sample file to the KBART Working Group. Once the file's format and content has been reviewed and approved, and the provider has made it publicly available (in line with the recommendations), the provider will be added to a public list of endorsing providers. When the Phase II RP is finalized, its guidelines are the ones that providers should follow for endorsement.

To follow the group's activities and be notified of the availability of the draft for public comment, subscribe to the KBART interest mailing list.

NCIP (NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol) Standing Committee

Chair: Mike Dicus (Ex Libris)
NCIP Workroom
NCIP Standing Committee
ANSI/NISO Z39.83-1-2012 (version 2.02), NISO Circulation Interchange - Part 1: Protocol (NCIP)
ANSI/NISO Z39.83-2-2012 (version 2.02), NISO Circulation Interchange Protocol (NCIP) Part 2: Implementation Profile 1

On monthly conference calls, the NCIP Standing Committee reviews status of implementations and other general business based on the latest version of NCIP, version 2.02, published in 2012 and available via the NCIP Workroom page. Twice a year, meetings are held in person in order to review ongoing updates to the NCIP protocol.

The Standing Committee is now discussing the best ways to collate and publicize vendor support, including a potential reorganization and general updating of the ncip.info web site. It is also beginning the planning for its fall meeting—dates and location still to be finalized.

Open Discovery Initiative Working Group ODI logo

Co-chairs: Marshall Breeding (Independent Consultant), Jenny Walker (Independent Consultant)
ODI Workroom

The Open Discovery Initiative (ODI) aims at defining standards and/or best practices for the new generation of library discovery services that are based on indexed search. The Working Group—made up of discovery vendors, primary and secondary publishers, and librarians—has been meeting regularly since January 2012.

The four ODI subgroups—working in the areas of technical formats, communication of libraries' rights/level of indexing, definition of fair linking, and usage statistics—have completed their subgroup reports covering the landscape and recommendations to be offered. These subgroup reports are now in the process of being put together into a single draft-for-comment to be made available to the community in the coming quarter. As previously noted, the groups made use of a survey circulated to the community and published a survey report that summarizes that information.

Those interested in following the work of this effort can join the ODI observer mailing list.

ResourceSync Working GroupResourceSync logo

Co-chairs: Todd Carpenter (NISO), Herbert Van de Sompel (Los Alamos National Laboratory)
ResourceSync Workroom

The ResourceSync working group continues its work of researching, developing, prototyping, testing, and deploying mechanisms for the large-scale synchronization of web resources—intended to allow for the synchronization of web-based objects themselves, not just their metadata, and building on the OAI-PMH strategies. The core group has been funded by the Sloan Foundation and is augmented by other industry and research participants, some of whom are sponsored by JISC.

Following comments and discussions on the beta specification, taking place on the open Google Group, the Working Group has been finalizing elements and reorganizing the material for better understanding and use. The core functionality of the specification, representing a functional replacement of OAI-PMH, is included in this material. Other features, such as push notification and archive capabilities, are desirable but can't be completed in the timeframe for the project; however it is likely that further development for these will proceed in the future through an additional path. The group expects its work on the specification to be final by the end of the summer, and then the material will proceed to approval by the NISO Document to Delivery Topic Committee, NISO Voting Members, and finally ANSI.

Members of the Working Group have been very busy in the last several months, providing presentations and tutorials on ResourceSync at the following recent meetings: WWW2013 (Rio de Janeiro, May); 8th OAI Workshop on Innovations in Scholarly Communication (Geneva, June); NISO Update, ALA Annual (Chicago, June); Open Repositories (Charlottetown, PEI, July); JCDL (Indianapolis, July). Upcoming presentations are planned for TPDL (Malta, September) and Repository Fringe (Edinburgh, August). Herbert Van de Sompel will provide a half-day tutorial on ResourceSync following the LITA Forum (Louisville, KY, November). The autumn will also see NISO webinars and an open teleconference planned for September 9, for the group to discuss its work.

Specification for Open Access Metadata and Indicators Working Group

Co-chairs: Ed Pentz (CrossRef), Cameron Neylon (PLOS), Greg Tananbaum (SPARC)
Open Access Metadata and Indicators Workroom
Open Access Metadata and Indicators Work Item Proposal

This project will develop standardized bibliographic metadata and visual indicators to describe the accessibility of journal articles as well as potentially describe how "open" the item is. Many offerings are available from publishers under the banner of Open Access (OA), Increased Access, Public Access, or other descriptions; the terms offered vary between publishers and, in some cases, based on the funding organization of the author. Adding to the potential confusion, a number of publishers also offer hybrid options in which some articles are "open" while the rest of the journal's content is available only by subscription or license. No standardized bibliographic metadata currently provides information on whether a specific article is freely readable and what re-use rights might be available to readers. Visual indicators or icons indicating the openness of an article are inconsistent in both design and use across publishers or even across journals from the same publisher.

The group has been meeting on a biweekly schedule and has made significant progress in its discussions, first generating a use cases document that has helped supply analysis for various potential solutions. As the summer now winds down, the group is planning to take a two-phase approach, first coming up with a specification that can help with most use cases, and then tackling separately the thornier issues raised by some stakeholders and the use cases that require additional metadata elements. Discussion is also planned on how these specifications can be implemented and what barriers might need to be lowered in order to help with this. The group intends to release a draft for comment on its work by November 2013.

To follow the work of this group, subscribe to the OA Indicators mailing list.

Standard Interchange Protocol (SIP) Working Group

Co-chairs: John Bodfish (OCLC), Ted Koppel (Auto-Graphics)
SIP Workroom

The Standard Interchange Protocol (SIP), introduced by 3M in 1993, provides a standard communication mechanism to allow Integrated Library System (ILS) applications and self-service devices to communicate seamlessly to perform self-service transactions and has become the de facto standard around the world to integrate ILSs and self-service devices. This Working Group is directing the existing SIP version 3.0 specification through the NISO standardization process.

The SIP Working Group began its work in October 2012 by identifying four important high-level areas to be considered as relevant to the SIP3 work product. These are: the SIP3 documents themselves, including revisions/corrections/additions, resolving ambiguities, etc.; the Maintenance Agency; SIP3's relation to privacy standards and security; and the relation to NCIP. As reported in the April 2013 Working Group Connection, the group is still meeting on biweekly conference calls to work through resolving a significant list of items pertaining to the SIP3 documents, some of which are major issues requiring quite a bit of discussion and research to address. However, the group expects that this discussion will wrap up soon and it can turn to editing a final document for approval.

When the revision of the documents is complete, the Working Group will address questions of compliance, certification, and assured interoperability. Updated materials in conjunction with the group's work will be added to its Workroom page as they are finalized. Ted Koppel, Working Group co-chair, presented an update on the group at the NISO Update at the ALA Annual meeting in Chicago, IL in June.

New Work Items

Protocol for Exchanging Serial Content

Serials Exchange New Work Item Proposal (PDF)

Approved by NISO Voting Members in June, work is now underway to assemble a Working Group to create a NISO Recommended Practice to describe a packaging specification to be used for exchange and archiving of serial publications. This work will be added to the portfolio of the Content and Collections Management Topic Committee.

As part of their missions, many different organizations—such as libraries, archives, indexing services, content aggregators, publishers, and content creators—need to exchange and work with digital files that make up serial content. These files can be shuttled from organization to organization and within an organization many times during the lifecycle of the content. Packaging is of concern to any organization that needs to exchange files. The Working Group will need to define the format of, and information to be included in, a manifest that describes a group of digital files related to a serial and that can be used to ensure the integrity of the file group. The Working Group will also examine current practice and see what strategies are currently used in the community. Depending on the results of this exploration the Working Group might find that it is possible to either adopt a current method wholesale, or to make changes to a current method to better address the specific needs of serial content, rather than creating a new method from scratch.