NISO Webinar: Spotlight on Mobile: Devices, Interface and Content
Wednesday, May 10, 2017
1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- About the Webinar
- Agenda & Event Slides
- Event Q&A
- Can't make it on the webinar day? Register now and gain access to the archive for one year.
- NISO has developed a quick tutorial, How to Participate in a NISO Web Event. Please view the recording, which is an overview of the web conferencing system and will help to answer the most commonly asked questions regarding participating in an online Webex event.
- You will need a computer for the presentation and Q&A.
- Audio is available through the computer (broadcast) and by telephone. We recommend you have a set-up for telephone audio as back-up even if you plan to use the broadcast audio as the voice over Internet isn't always 100% reliable.
- Please check your system in advance to make sure it meets the Cisco WebEx requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that your system is properly set up before each webinar begins.
This session will look at the on-going importance of mobile devices and the influence those devices have on access to and usage of various forms of content, whether text or multi-media. As a ubiquitous tool for a global population, the impact of mobile on the practices and policies of libraries and content providers should not be underestimated
Agenda and Event Slides
Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO
Confirmed Speakers: Rebecca Jackson, Social Sciences and Humanities, Department Head and Associate Professor Research and Instruction Services, Iowa State University; Ben Rawlins, Library Director, SUNY-Geneseo; Tracey Paine, Senior Director of Product Management, EBSCO
A Mobile State of Mind: Library Resources and Mobile Devices
Ben Rawlins, Library Director, SUNY-Geneseo
As consumers of information we expect access to be available in the different formats and through the different devices that we use to consume information. As we continue to interact and access information more and more through our mobile devices it is imperative that information be available and formatted in a manner that makes consumption easy and seamless. This proliferation of mobile devices has prompted businesses and organizations, including libraries and library vendors, to leverage the capabilities of these devices to provide mobile-friendly access to information. Mobile devices have led to a shift in the way that libraries and library vendors think about the user experience of their interfaces and have worked to their interfaces This presentation will focus on the different ways that library vendors have made efforts to make their products available to libraries and library users in a mobile manner.
Ben Rawlins is the Library Director at SUNY Geneseo’s Milne Library. He has developed several mobile websites and applications for the iOS and Android operating systems, and has presented at several national conferences including the LITA National Forum, ALA Midwinter, ALA Annual, Computers in Libraries, and the Handheld Librarian Conference on a variety of topics related to mobile services in libraries. He is the author of Mobile Devices: A Practical Guide for Librarians and Mobile Technologies in Libraries: A LITA Guide.
SAVE! Register for multiple events.
If paying by credit card, register online.
If paying by check, please use this PDF form.
Registration closes on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. (ET)
- NISO Voting Members
- $100.00 (US and Canada)
- $110.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $135.00 (US and Canada)
- $159.00 (International)
- Registration closes at 12:00 p.m. (ET) on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. Cancellations made by Wednesday, May 3, 2017 will receive a refund, less a $25 cancellation. After that date, there are no refunds.
- Registrants will receive detailed instructions about accessing the webinar via e-mail the Monday prior to the event. (Anyone registering between Monday and the close of registration will receive the message shortly after the registration is received, within normal business hours.) Due to the widespread use of spam blockers, filters, out of office messages, etc., it is your responsibility to contact the NISO office if you do not receive login instructions.
- If you have not received your Login Instruction email by 10:00 a.m. (ET) on the Tuesday before the webinar, at please contact the NISO office at email@example.com for immediate assistance.
- Registration is per site (access for one computer) and includes access to the online recorded archive of the webinar. You may have as many people as you like from the registrant's organization view the webinar from that one connection. If you need additional connections, you will need to enter a separate registration for each connection needed.
- If you are registering someone else from your organization, either use that person's e-mail address when registering or contact NISO Office to provide alternate contact information.
- Library Standards Alliance (LSA) members receive one free webinar connection as part of their membership and DO NOT need to register for the event for this free connection. Your webinar contact will receive the login instructions the Monday before the event. You may have as many people as you like from the member's library view the webinar from that one connection. If you need additional connections beyond the free one, then you will need to enter a paid registration (at the member rate) for each additional connection required.
- Webinar presentation slides and Q&A will be posted to the site following the live webinar.
- Registrants and LSA member webinar contacts will receive an e-mail message containing access information to the archived webinar recording within 48 hours after the event. This recording access is only to be used by the registrant's or member's organization.