NISO Virtual Conference
Advancing Altmetrics: Best Practices and Emerging Ideas
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
11:00 - 5:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- About the Conference
- Agenda & Event Slides
Can't make it on the conference day? Register now and gain access to the archive for one year.
- NISO has developed a quick tutorial, How to Participate in a NISO Web Event. Please view the recording, which is an overview of the web conferencing system and will help to answer the most commonly asked questions regarding participating in an online Webex event.
- You will need a computer for the presentation and Q&A.
- Audio is available through the computer (broadcast) and by telephone. We recommend you have a set-up for telephone audio as back-up even if you plan to use the broadcast audio as the voice over Internet isn't always 100% reliable.
- Please check your system in advance to make sure it meets the Cisco WebEx requirements. It is your responsibility to ensure that your system is properly set up before each webinar begins.
This is an active area for a variety of reasons. There is an on-going need to justify the work, space and resources invested in the library. How best to appropriately generate, synthesize, interpret and deliver the most useful data to demonstrate the return on investment made by the institution. What do we know to be best practices for using Altmetrics in assessment activities? How comfortable are faculty with the use of Altmetrics in the context of tenure & promotion activities?
NISO’s working group on Altmetrics has built a better understanding of use cases for existing Altmetrics, but already there are discussions of whether new metrics might be usefully framed for measuring research impact outside of the academic environment or for capturing the value of non-conventional outputs of research.
Will the usage indicators of views and downloads be sufficient for evaluation of the usefulness of data sets? What example might be provided by studies of COUNTER, SUSHI and SUSHI Lite? What alternative approaches might be needed or fostered in order to ensure the discoverability, usability and reproducibility of scientific data sets?
11:00 a.m. – 11:10 a.m. – Introduction
Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO
Sessions and Speakers To Be Announced
* * * * * * * * *
4:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Roundtable Discussion
Moderated by: Todd Carpenter, Executive Director, NISO
SAVE! Register for multiple events.
If paying by credit card, register online.
If paying by check, please use this PDF form.
Registration closes on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. Eastern.
2017 Registration Costs
- NISO LSA & Voting Members; NASIG Members
- $190.00 (US and Canada)
- $230.00 (International)
- $255.00 (US and Canada)
- $295.00 (International)
- Cancellations made by Wednesday, December 6, 2017 will receive a refund, less a $35 cancellation. After that date, there are no refunds.
- Registrants will receive detailed instructions about accessing the virtual conference via e-mail the Friday prior to the event. (Anyone registering between Monday and the close of registration will receive the message shortly after the registration is received, within normal business hours.) Due to the widespread use of spam blockers, filters, out of office messages, etc., it is your responsibility to contact the NISO office if you do not receive login instructions before the start of the webinar.
- If you have not received your Login Instruction e-mail by 10 a.m. (ET) on the Tuesday before the virtual conference, please contact the NISO office at firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate assistance.
- Registration is per site (access for one computer) and includes access to the online recorded archive of the conference. You may have as many people as you like from the registrant's organization view the conference from that one connection. If you need additional connections, you will need to enter a separate registration for each connection needed.
- If you are registering someone else from your organization, either use that person's e-mail address when registering or contact email@example.com to provide alternate contact information.
- Conference presentation slides and Q&A will be posted to this event webpage following the live conference.
- Registrants will receive an e-mail message containing access information to the archived conference recording within 48 hours after the event. This recording access is only to be used by the registrant's organization.