It’s in the Mail: Improving the Physical Delivery of Library Resources
May 12, 2010
1:00 - 2:30 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- About the Webinar
- Presentation Slides
- Event Q&A
Can't make it on the 12th? Register now and gain access to the archive for one year.
- System Requirements
- Please note: you will need a computer for the presentation and Q&A, and a telephone for the audio.
- Mac users: You will need to use Safari to view the webinar.
- To save time before the meeting, check your system to make sure it is ready to use Microsoft Office Live Meeting: http://www.communiqueconferencing.com/livemeeting_downloads.asp
About the Webinar
Many users assume that most information today is digital. As digital content increases, so does the information resources that are produced, consumed, and distributed in physical formats. Resource sharing of physical formats—whether books, DVDs, CDs, or audiocassettes—continues to play an important role in library services. Moving library materials between libraries has been a hidden component of resource sharing activities. Numerous activities have focused on improving resource sharing workflow, but little attention has been paid to how materials are moved from one library to another, and from a library directly to a patron (e.g., to a home or office). The issues around how to deliver library materials quickly, securely, and cost-effectively are equally immense. What are the best ways to provide physical delivery of library materials? In this webinar you will hear from three speakers. The first speaker will first provide an overview of library delivery services today; the second speaker will discuss the charge, current work plan and emerging recommended practices of NISO’s Physical Delivery of Library Resources Working Group; and the final speaker will talk about efforts to provide a delivery service directly to library patrons.
Welcome & System Overview
Todd Carpenter, NISO Managing Director
Lori Bowen Ayre, Library Technology Consultant and Project Manager, The Galecia Group
NISO's Physical Delivery of Library Resources Working Group
Diana Sachs-Silveira, Virtual Reference Manager, Tampa Bay Library Consortium
Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Physical Delivery of Library Materials
Scherelene Schatz, MLS, New Jersey State Library
Question & Answer Session
If paying by credit card, register online.
If registering by check, use this PDF registration form.
Registration closes on May 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm Eastern.
- NISO Member
- $89.00 (US and Canada)
- $104.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $109.00 (US and Canada)
- $134.00 (International)
- Registration closes at 12:00 pm Eastern on May 12, 2010. Cancellations made by May 3, 2010 will receive a refund, less a $20 cancellation. After that date, there are no refunds.
- Registrants will receive detailed instructions about accessing the webinar via e-mail the Monday prior to the event. (Anyone registering between Monday and the close of registration will receive the message shortly after the registration is received, within normal business hours.) We ask that registrants please turn off any spam blockers or filters to ensure that the information is received. Registrants unable to access e-mail during that time (out of office, etc.) should contact the NISO office to designate an alternate contact. Any registrant who has not received login instructions by 10:00 am Eastern on May 12th should contact the NISO office at email@example.com or call 301-654-2512.
- Registration is per site (access for one computer) and includes access to the online recorded archive of the webinar. If you are registering someone else from your organization, either use that person's e-mail address when registering or contact the NISO office to provide alternate contact information.
- Webinar presentation slides and Q&A will be posted to the site following the live webinar.
- Registrants will receive access information to the archived webinar following the event. An e-mail message containing archive access instructions will be sent within 48 hours of the event.