September Two-Part Webinar: Measuring Use, Assessing Success
PART 1: Measure, Assess, Improve, Repeat: Using Library Performance Metrics
September 8, 2010
- About the Webinar
- Event Presentation (PDF)
- Event Q&A
Can't make it on the 8th? Register now and gain access to the archive for one year.
- System Requirements
- Please note: you will need a computer for the presentation and Q&A, and a telephone for the audio.
- Mac users: You will need to use Safari to view the webinar.
- To save time before the meeting, check your system to make sure it is ready to use Microsoft Office Live Meeting: http://www.communiqueconferencing.com/livemeeting_downloads.asp
About the Webinar
Increasingly, all kinds of libraries are expected not only to gather and report data about their activities but also to analyze that data and use
it to evaluate their performance. Such an analysis is difficult to undertake or even begin without a framework that informs the evaluation process.
Performance metrics can assist with this difficulty but present their own sets of challenges. What performance metrics are relevant to library operations? Are performance metrics already being successfully applied in libraries? How can information standards assist with this area of growing importance to libraries, the entities they report to, and the information providers that supply them?
Practitioners of 'evidence-based librarianship' will discuss and demonstrate evaluations of library collections and services using a variety of performance metrics. Metrics, when utilized creatively, offer many far-reaching applications and opportunities for demonstration of return-on-investment and proof of a library's value to its parent institution, as well as new responsibilities to continue to show relevance.
1:00 - 1:05 p.m.: Welcome & System Overview
1:05 - 1:15 p.m.: Introduction
Todd Carpenter, NISO Managing Director
1:15-1:45 p.m.: Applying Performance Metrics in Libraries: Current Use
Steve Hiller, Director, Assessment and Planning, University of Washington Libraries
1:45 - 2:15 p.m.: Looking Ahead: The Future of Performance Metrics
Martha Kyrillidou, Senior Director, Statistics and Service Quality Programs, Association of Research Libraries (ARL)
2:15 - 2:30 p.m.: Question & Answer Session
Participants can register for this event separately or in combination with Part 2 of the webinar to be held the following week. If you register for both events at the same time, you will receive a 20% discount.
If paying by credit card for PARTS 1 and 2, register online here.
If paying by credit card for PART 1 ONLY, register online here.
If paying by check, use this PDF registration form.
Registration closes on September 8, 2010 at 12:00 pm Eastern Time.
Registration Costs for PART 1 AND PART 2
- NISO Member
- $129.00 (US and Canada)
- $144.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $149.00 (US and Canada)
- $174.00 (International)
Registration costs for PART 1 ONLY:
- NISO Member
- $89.00 (US and Canada)
- $104.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $109.00 (US and Canada)
- $134.00 (International)
- Registration closes at 12:00 pm Eastern on September 8, 2010. Cancellations made by August 30, 2010 will receive a refund, less a $20 cancellation. After that date, there are no refunds.
- Registrants will receive detailed instructions about accessing the webinar via e-mail the Monday prior to the event. (Anyone registering between Monday and the close of registration will receive the message shortly after the registration is received, within normal business hours.) We ask that registrants please turn off any spam blockers or filters to ensure that the information is received. Registrants unable to access e-mail during that time (out of office, etc.) should contact the NISO office to designate an alternate contact. Any registrant who has not received login instructions by 10:00 am Eastern on September 8 should contact the NISO office at email@example.com or call 301-654-2512.
- Registration is per site (defined as access for one computer) and includes access to the online recorded archive of the webinar. An unlimited number of participants can view per site. If you are registering someone else from your organization, either use that person's e-mail address when registering or contact the NISO office to provide alternate contact information.
- Webinar presentation slides and Q&A will be posted to the site following the live webinar.
- Registrants will receive access information to the archived webinar following the event. An e-mail message containing archive access instructions will be sent within 48 hours of the event.