September Two-Part Webinar:
- About the Webinar
- Presentation Slides (PDF)
- Event Q&A
Can't make it on the 15th? Register now and gain access to the archive for one year.
- System Requirements
- Please note: you will need a computer for the presentation and Q&A; and a telephone for the audio.
- Mac users: You will need to use Safari to view the webinar.
- To save time before the meeting, check your system to make sure it is ready to use Microsoft Office Live Meeting: http://www.communiqueconferencing.com/livemeeting_downloads.asp
About the Webinar
Libraries' growing awareness of performance measures has created an increased interest in and desire for fine-grained usage data. For years, gathering item-level usage data has meant counting uses of the physical containers of intellectual property, e.g.: books, tapes, discs, or periodicals, to name a few. Now that electronic versions of such items inhabit a much greater percentage of many libraries' collections, including that held in their own institutional repositories, usage data about individual book chapters, journal articles, sound recordings, motion picture scenes, and so forth is within reach or is already trickling into libraries' records.
Standards initiatives such as COUNTER and SUSHI have demonstrated feasibility of expanded XML-based schemas to record and communicate more fine-grained data. Authors and funding agencies, in addition to library collection managers, are interested in better understanding the impact this usage tracking can provide. What kinds of schemas would work best to provide this? What kind of mechanisms can be created to support this without becoming unduly burdensome for data providers? What are further practical applications for the analysis of this information?
1:00 - 1:05 p.m.: Welcome & System Overview
1:05 - 1:15 p.m.: Introduction
Todd Carpenter, NISO Managing Director
1:15 - 1:45 p.m.: Update on PIRUS 2: Developing Practical Standards for Recording and Reporting Online Usage at the Individual Article Level
Paul Needham, PIRUS 2 Project Manager and Research and Innovation Specialist at Cranfield University
Paul will be speaking in lieu of Peter Shepherd, Project Director, Project COUNTER, who was originally slated
1:45 - 2:15 p.m.: Applying Usage Metrics to Assess Scholarly Content Quality
Johan Bollen, Associate Professor in the School of Informatics and Computing, Indiana University
2:15 - 2:30 p.m.: Question & Answer Session
Participants can register for this event separately or in combination with Part 1 of the webinar to be held the previous week. If you register for both events at the same time, you will receive a 20% discount.
If paying by credit card for PARTS 1 and 2, register online.
If paying by credit card for PART 2 ONLY, register online.
If paying by check, use this PDF registration form.
Registration closes on September 15, 2010 at 12:00 pm Eastern Time.
Registration Costs for PART 1 AND PART 2
- NISO Member
- $129.00 (US and Canada)
- $144.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $149.00 (US and Canada)
- $174.00 (International)
Registration Costs for PART 2 ONLY:
- NISO Member
- $89.00 (US and Canada)
- $104.00 (International)
- NASIG Member
- $109.00 (US and Canada)
- $134.00 (International)
You can also register for multiple events and SAVE!
- Registration closes at 12:00 pm Eastern on September 15, 2010. Cancellations made by September 6, 2010 will receive a refund, less a $20 cancellation. After that date, there are no refunds.
- Registrants will receive detailed instructions about accessing the webinar via e-mail the Monday prior to the event. (Anyone registering between Monday and the close of registration will receive the message shortly after the registration is received, within normal business hours.) We ask that registrants please turn off any spam blockers or filters to ensure that the information is received. Registrants unable to access e-mail during that time (out of office, etc.) should contact the NISO office to designate an alternate contact. Any registrant who has not received login instructions by 10:00 am Eastern on September 15th should contact the NISO office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-654-2512.
- Registration is per site (defined as access for one computer) and includes access to the online recorded archive of the webinar. An unlimited number of participants can view per site. If you are registering someone else from your organization, either use that person's e-mail address when registering or contact the NISO office to provide alternate contact information.
- Webinar presentation slides and Q&A will be posted to the site following the live webinar.
- Registrants will receive access information to the archived webinar following the event. An e-mail message containing archive access instructions will be sent within 48 hours of the event.